Uses Of Breastmilk For Health, Beauty, Nutrition And More
The uses of breastmilk definitely go beyond just nourishment
There is one use of breastmilk that is quite obvious and that we all know of: nutrition. But what if we told you there are 47 uses of breastmilk?
Let’s just dive right into them already, shall we?
1. Nourishment: breastmilk, hands down, is the best form of nutrition for babies. It includes a complex range of proteins, and is balanced out with fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and more.
2. It is food: The hindmilk, or the milk that comes towards the end of a feeding, is like food to a baby. This milk is higher is fats and calories and will keep baby feeling nice and full.
3. It is drink: The foremilk, which is what your baby gets as they first latch on, is a thirst-quencher. On hot days, you produce more foremilk which is why experts say exclusively breastfed babies do not need water until they start solids.
4. Potential cancer cure: A Swedish professor and her team have found out after decades of research that a special protein in breastmilk has the ability to kill cancer cells without harming healthy cells!
5. Fights bacteria: Perhaps one of the most amazing of the many uses of breastmilk is that it has antibacterial properties. In other words, it dissolves the cell-walls of bacteria!
6. Boosts immunity: Breastmilk is full of antibodies that protect your baby and build immunity.
7. Is a newborn’s first “vaccination”: The first milk mums produce — beautifully golden — is known as colostrum . It is packed with precious antibodies that protect your vulnerable newborn from infection.
8. Breastmilk can sense when your baby is sick: Your body alters the nutritional and immunological composition of your breastmilk depending on your baby’s need at that moment. It does this by “reading” your baby’s saliva when he breastfeeds.
9. Pain-relief medication: Put aside the paracetamol and breastfeed your baby instead! One of the amazing uses of breastmilk is that is a natural pain reliever. It contains endorphins, which help ease pain in the human body.
10. Stress relief: Going right down to a DNA level , breastfed babies have been found to be less stressed than non-breastfed little ones. So amazing!
11. It is the perfect preemie food: Breastmilk is the best food for premature babies too, as… you guessed it… it changes again to adapt to the needs of a preemie. According to research, “human milk from women delivering prematurely has more protein and higher levels of many bioactive molecules compared to milk from women delivering at term.”
12. Higher IQ: Did you know that breastfed babies will have higher IQ, as shown by research?
13. Less incidence of SIDS: Research also shows that breastfed babies are at a lower risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
14. Helps sore eyes: One of the uses of breastmilk is that it can be used to ease the symptoms of sore eyes, or conjunctivitis. Just check with the doctor first.
15. Soothes sore throats: If anyone in your family has a sore throat, get them to gargle using some breastmilk. The antimicrobial properties will help bring relief faster.
16. Helps ear infections heal: Baby got an ear infection? Just drip one or two drops of breastmilk in his ear. But as always, first check with a doctor.
17. Eczema treatment: Just rub on some breastmilk on those nasty eczema patches for faster relief.
18. Clears clogged tear ducts: Some mums swear that a few drops of breastmilk gently swept over the eye region can help clear blocked tear ducts in babies.
19. For sunburn: Apply some chilled breastmilk on sunburned skin for immediate relief.
20. Mild burn treatment: Some mummies say that breastmilk mixed with mashed blueberries helps heal and soothe mild burns.
21. Cracked nipple balm: Breastmilk is one of the best soothers of painful cracked nipples. Just apply and let those nips air-dry.
22. Good for insect bites: Does baby (or dad!) have an itchy mosquito bite? Dab some breastmilk on it!
23. Cold fighter: We hear that if an adult drinks a few ounces of breastmilk when they feel a cold coming on, they can actually ward it off! Try it and let us know.
24. Less digestive issues: Because breastmilk is produced especially for babies, it’s easily digested by them, resulting in less tummy aches, diarrhea and other stomach issues.
25. Better eyesight: Research discovered that breastmilk, which is naturally rich in omega-3 fatty acids, improves babies’ eyesight.
26. Gets rid of warts: Just saturate a cotton ball with breastmilk and apply to the wart twice a day.
27. For minor cuts: The natural germ-fighting properties of breastmilk make it a great salve for minor cuts and grazes.
28. Burns calories: Breastfeeding burns calories in mums, helping them lose post-pregnancy weight faster.
29. Eases a blocked nose: A few drops of breastmilk inserted in the nostrils can apparently help ease congestion in both children and adults.
30. Soothes chicken pox: Just rub some breastmilk on those itchy blisters for relief.
31. Acne cure: According to the results of a study conducted by a team at the University of California, the lauric acid found in breastmilk can help treat acne.
32. Removes makeup: Run out of makeup remover? No problem, just apply a layer of breastmilk like you would cold-cream or store-bought makeup remover. It works beautifully!
33. Facemask: The lauric acid in breastmilk makes it beautiful skin’s best friend. Mix some expressed breastmilk with Bentonite clay (you can buy online or check in a pharmacy) until you get a spreadable paste. Apply, let dry, rinse off. Hello glow!
34. Skin-scrub: You don’t have to splurge on expensive face-scrubs anymore. Just mix breastmilk, lemon juice and fine granulated sugar into a paste. Gently use this to exfoliate your skin.
35. Milk bath for mum: Got extra breastmilk? Be like Cleopatra and soak in it for extra-smooth, supple skin.
36. You can make soap: Here’s how to make it.
37. De-puff your eyes: Soak cotton balls in chilled breastmilk and place them over your eyes to reduce under-eye puffiness.
38. Lip balm: Due to it’s moisturising properties, on of the many uses of breastmilk is to soothe chapped lips. Just rub on and let dry.
39. Diaper rash cure: Is baby’s bottom looking a bit red? Just dab on some breastmilk and let its soothing properties calm that redness.
40. Cradle cap cure: If your newborn looks like they have a bad case of dandruff (cradle cap), just rub in some expressed breastmilk, let it dry, then gently brush the flakes off.
41. Milk bath for baby: A breastmilk bath is a great way to soothe those little rashes babies get from time to time, and keep their skin, well, baby-smooth!
42. Teething relief: Is your baby teething? Just make breastmilk popsicles and let her suck on them for immediate relief.
43. You can make noodles!: Check out this mummy’s recipe for delicious breastmilk noodles.
44. You can also make pandan mini-muffins: Yes, that’s right – another ingenious mummy recipe!
45. Delicious in baby food: If your little one has started solids, use breastmilk to mix their cereal, and to thin purees.
46. Replacement for cow’s milk: You can substitute breastmilk in cooking and baking recipes if your child is sensitive to cow’s milk. Okay, even in coffee — just don’t tell your hubby!
47. Natural lubricant: Mummies, feeling a bit frisky, yet dry down there? No worries, breastmilk allegedly works very well as a lube!
Also read: Recipes to increase breastmilk
Are you as amazed as we are about the many uses of breastmilk? Know of more uses? Just let us know!