Winter Melon Products Recalled for Containing High Content of Sulphur Dioxide: SFA
"Consumers who have purchased the implicated products should not consume them" - SFA
Several brands of winter melon products – a popular dried and candied snack – have been recalled by the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) on 29 June, following samples of the items containing high amounts of sulphur dioxide making it unsafe and unfit for consumption.
The SFA issued an advisory against ten brands and asked their importers to recall their winter melon products after the tested samples contained a high content of the allergen.
Winter Melon products recalled
Importers to recall their products immediately
The winter melon products were imported mainly from Malaysia, with a few from China and Vietnam.
The products recalled are detailed in the list below:
- Zheng Shi Ming candied melon strips (3kg) imported by Yuan Sang: All batches with manufacturing dates on Jun 13, 2020
- Sweet Homes preserved winter melon (250g) imported by Bake with Yen: All batches with manufacturing dates on Apr 24, 2020
- Winter Melon Sweet (300g) imported by Ah Pau Choy from Vietnam: All batches with expiry dates in October 2021
- Candied melon (300g) imported by Z T P Ginseng Birdnest from China: All batches carrying best before dates before November 2021
- Preserved winter melon (150g) imported by Sun Kee from Malaysia: All batches carrying the expiry date of May 22, 2022
- Bee’s Brand Sweeten Melon Strips (1kg) imported by Kuo Yeong: All batches carrying the expiry date of May 10, 2021
- Tong Keow Preserved Winter Melon (250g) imported by Kuo Yeong: All batches carrying the expiry date of Nov 13, 2021
- Happy Family Melon Chop (300g) imported by Kuo Yeong: All batches carrying the expiry dates of Mar 2, 3 and 6, 2021
- Hock Hua Tonic winter melon strip (250g) imported by H W Agri-Food Trading: All batches carrying the expiry dates of May 26 and Jun 14, 2021
- Maru Sun preserved winter melon (200g) imported by H W Agri-Food Trading: All batches carrying the expiry date of May 12, 2021
Winter melon products recalled: High levels of Sulphur Dioxide
According to the media release by the SFA the samples from the above list of products tested, presented levels of sulphur dioxide that exceeded maximum limits declared safe for public consumption by the Singapore Food Regulations.
Individuals who are hypersensitive to sulphite in food can suffer allergic symptoms such as hives, itchiness, stomach ache, diarrhoea and vomiting when presented with items containing high content of sulphur dioxide.
“Consumers who have purchased the implicated products should not consume them,” SFA noted, adding that those who have already consumed the affected products and felt unwell, should seek medical attention.
The SFA further advised the public who have purchased the above products to contact the respective importers for further inquiries regarding exchanges or refunds on the numbers provided below:
- Yuan Sang – Contact number: 6779 6677
- Bake With Yen – Contact number: 67413957
- Ah Pau Choy- Contact number: 62960730
- Z T P Ginseng Birdnest – Contact number: 6316 1215
- Sun Kee – Contact number: 64170888
- Kuo Yeong – Contact number: 6773 7677
- H W Agri-Food Trading – Contact number: 64826006 / 64823212
ALSO READ: A Guide To Common Food Allergies In Kids