Toddler falls from building: dangers of leaving kids in locked rooms
The toddler was dangling dangerously out the window of their fifth floor home when neighbours spotted him!
A toddler fell five storeys to his near-death on 14 May, Monday. But thanks to quick-acting neighbours, the toddler survived. Asia One reports that thetoddler caught falling from building was rescued by two men and some neighbours.
According to the report, the toddler’s grandmother went out to get a drink when the boy locked the bedroom door behind her.
The little one seems to have been scared of what he had done, so he attempted to exit the room through an open window.
Among those who quickly spotted the toddler was Liu Yangming, 28, a former soldier and the child’s father. They rushed to the boy’s aid. They knocked on a flat a few floors down to let them in. Liu then climbed out the window and stood on a narrow ledge, waiting to catch the toddler.
As the toddler fell, Liu’s dad wasn’t able to get a hold of him. Thankfully, Liu managed to grasp the boy’s leg before he plunged to the ground! All in the span of a few seconds!
Footage of the amazing rescue that took place in Shanghai, has surfaced online, earning Liu praise from both neighbours and netizens.
You can watch the amazing video below!
This Chinese toddler is not the first one to miraculously survive a high rise fall. One Malaysian toddler fell four storeys, but suffered no injuries. While a baby fell face-first from a high-rise but survived because telephone wires broke her fall!
Though these children were fortunate, there are sadly many cases of children perishing in high-rise falls. Like the boy who fell to his death in Toa Payoh.
A 2011 study found that around 5,000 children suffer injuries or death because of high-rise building falls each year.
This is why it’s important for everyone to be constantly vigilant when living in high-rise buildings.
Mums and dads, here are some important childproofing measures that could one day save your child’s life:
Unfortunately, simply fitting your windows with screens does not count. If you are living with young kids in a high-rise apartment or condominium, installing grilles and sturdy window guards should be a priority.
Maintain the constant habit of checking if all windows and balcony doors within reach are locked. The child in the incident above managed to lock himself inside a room, where the window could easily be opened.
Don’t underestimate the ability of toddlers to reach for locks and open windows.
Kids, toddlers especially, are fond of indulging their curiosity and their need for adventure. So they explore and climb, not knowing the dangers of high-rise building living.
Make sure not to place furniture they can climb near windows. Childproofing dressers and drawers is also an important safety precaution because a toddler who loves to climb is also prone to crushing hazards from falling dressers.
Even if it’s just for a few seconds, don’t leave your child unattended. A lot can happen in the blink of an eye! The grandmother in the story above was not knowingly putting her grandson in danger. She was gone for merely seconds. But in that time the curious tot managed to lock the door and climb out the window.
Who knows what could have happened without those quick-thinking men!
Heavy objects — such as large toys and decorations — when thrown with significant force, can break glass doors. This does not only increase the risk of high-rise falls, but the shards of glass can cut or seriously injure a child.
Try as you might, you can’t keep an eye on your kids 24/7. So you need trusted caregivers to help you make sure they are protected from safety hazards in the home.
Childproofing the home also means educating your child’s other caregivers about the aforementioned safety measures. It takes a village to raise a child, and it also takes an extra vigilant one to make sure they are safe at all times.
What other safety measures would you take to prevent high-rise falls, mums and dads?