Mother murders baby son: the importance of recognising mental health issues
A woman has been arrested for murder after she attacked her own son. Allegedly, the mother killed her son with a knife by slashing the one-year-old's throat.
Mothers are meant to protect their babies from harm. But sometimes, mothers are affected by darkness that makes them do unthinkable things. Sometimes, this darkness comes in the form of mental illness that pushes people towards horrific acts — like the mother who murdered her own baby boy on Sunday night (17 June).
The mother killed her son in their home using a knife. The Malaysian woman has since been arrested.
The Mother Killed Her Son Who Was only One Year Old: What Led to This?
Pahang criminal investigation chief, ACP Othman Nayan shared that the incident happened around 9 PM in the family's home. The mother allegedly killed her son by cutting his throat with a knife.
The child was only one year and seven months old. He was the youngest of three children.
According to news reports, the horrific act was discovered by the baby's father, who rushed to push his wife aside. He then rushed his son to hospital.
"Her husband rushed their badly injured son to the Jengka Hospital, but the boy had died by then. The hospital called the police," Mr Nayan shared.
It is still unknown exactly what led the woman to kill her own son, however, it is believed she suffers from mental illness. Initial investigations have revealed that the woman was in a state of hallucination when she committed the atrocious act. In a statement, her husband said that his wife had never sought help for any medical condition.
What Could Have Caused this Mum to Kill Her Own Son in Cold Blood?
We can't say for certain why the mum killed her own son. While parents who kill their children are very rare, it's not unheard of.
One of the most prevalent explanations is that some parents have mental health concerns that have not been found or dealt with.
It is important to note that mental health problems don't make parents kill their own children. But, if left alone or ignored, mental problems can escalate and can become detrimental to a person's ability to take care of children.
This is why it's necessary for mental health to be an ongoing discussion for everyone.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Not all people with mental health concerns show outward signs. Sometimes mental health can be silent, but the effects are just as devastating.
- Neglecting your mental health can cause an inability to care for your child. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of your little one.
- If you believe that your spouse has mental health concerns, don't be afraid to reach out. Make them feel that you're there for them, and that you're not afraid. It is important that your spouse feels that you do not despise their condition.
- Seeking help is important. You shouldn't believe that only you can solve your problems. Never forget that you have a family that loves you, cares for you, and supports you.
- Don't take it out on your children. Your children aren't able to fully understand your problems and concerns yet, so don't take out your frustrations on them. After all, they're young and have a lot to learn. Instead, focus on what steps you can take in order to help you cope with your problems.
- Know that you will be better. There are ways to deal with mental health concerns, and struggling with mental health doesn't mean that you won't be able to have a normal, healthy life.
Source: Channel News Asia