A Deliciously Simple Recipe for Chocolate Bread With Oreo Cream Cheese
Bake up a warm treat for the whole family. This recipe for chocolate bread with oreo cream cheese is just the thing you need!
Mix things up next breakfast and try this recipe to make a fresh batch of delicious chocolate bread with Oreo cream cheese!
For the bread
- 270g bread flour
- 30g cake flour
- 40g caster sugar
- 4g salt
- 5g instant yeast
- 15g milk powder
- 1 egg
- 10g unsalted butter
- 125g chocolate milk
- 75g heavy cream
For the filling
- 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 Oreo biscuits, crushed
For the egg wash
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. In a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add the egg and mix.
2. Add half of the liquid (chocolate + cream) then mix.
3. Gradually add the remaining liquid and continue to mix until the dough comes together.
4. Place a piece of cling wrap on the bowl and leave the dough for 15 minutes for the flour to absorb the liquid.
5. At the end of this time, use your hands to knead the dough. Add the butter and continue kneading until the dough comes together. If the dough is too wet, add some flour and continue kneading.
6. Once you have reached the windowpane stage, shape the dough into a ball and transfer into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let this rise for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size. I like to leave it in the oven at 35°C.
7. Punch the dough down.
8. Divide the dough into 12 portions, each weighing 55g. Shape each into a ball.
9. Spray with a little water, cover with the damp cloth and return this to the oven (at 35°C) for 15 minutes.
10. In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese and crushed Oreo cookies.
11. After 15 minutes, remove the dough from the oven.
12. Flatten each ball and roll into a disc.
13. Place a teaspoon of filling in the middle of the disc. Pinch the seams to seal.
14. Use a pair of scissors to cut a small cross on top of the buns.
15. Return the buns to the oven to proof for 40 minutes (at 35°C).
16. At the end of this time, remove the buns and pre-heat the oven temperature to 180°C. Brush the buns with egg wash.
17. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the buns are golden brown
18. Cool the buns for about 10-15 minutes on a wire rack before eating.
The buns can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Re-heat in the microwave before serving. The buns will harden in the fridge but will soften again after being re-heated.