This is the first time I have tried a cinnamon bread recipe though I have tasted the cinnamon buns before and they are heavenly. Especially the cinnamon is such a flavourful ingredient to make any recipe tastier. I have used the brown sugar here so the colour is slightly darker and my kids overloaded the bread with cinnamon spread.
Give it a try once and you will fall in love with it. You can simply warm it for a minute and can enjoy anytime with your tea or coffee.
- Flour- 2 1/4 cups
- Lukewarm Milk- 3/4 cup
- Sugar- 1 tbsp
- Melted Butter- 2 tbsp
- Egg Yolk- 1
- Yeast -15g( 1 packet)
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Softened Butter- 1.4 cup
- Sugar- 4-5 tbsp
- Cinnamon- 3 tsp
1. In a bowl take yeast, sugar and stir well. Add lukewarm milk followed by egg yolk and melted butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 c.
3. Take a large bowl and whisk flour and salt. Add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and start kneading (approx 15-20 minutes) or until it pulls away from the edges of the bowl. Gently shape into a ball shape.
4. Sprinkle little oil in a clean bowl and place the dough into it and cover with cling wrap.
5. Let the dough rest for around an hour at room temperature or at warm place until it doubled in size.
6. Take butter, cinnamon and sugar (I had brown sugar so used that here) and set aside.
Read on for the next steps…
7. Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a rectangle and spread the cinnamon butter filling evenly leaving a clean 1/2 inch border around the edges.
8. Roll up the dough and using a knife, cut the log in half lengthwise leaving one edge uncut for about 1.2 inch.
9. Take the baking tray and put the parchment paper and Start braiding the two pieces, trying to keep the open layers exposed so the cut ends remain on top. Take both ends together.
10. Brush the remaining cinnamon filling. My kids just overloaded the cinnamon filling on the bread.
11. Bake for around 25 minutes until golden brown but check around 20 minutes.
The entire house was filled with the cinnamon fragrance and it was raining outside. What a heavenly combination. You can add any other filling along with cinnamon as kids love to add a chocolate or kaya spread inside it.