Netflix Parental Control: A Step-by-Step Guide to Your Child’s Safe Viewership
Netflix has come up with advanced options for parental control over what the kids view in their Netflix entertainment during this stay-at-home period.
COVID-19 has left families, especially kids, with limited options for engagements and entertainment. During these times, binge-watching favourite shows or movies have become essential for most of the kids. Yet, left on their own, they may get exposed to age-inappropriate content. As a parent, your worry is natural. Now you can put an end to this concern by setting up Netflix Parental Control.
Some kids can handle some mature content, yet you may not want to give complete freedom for the R-rated ones. Now you can customise what your child will watch. As the latest improvisation, Netflix has offered various parental controls to keep your child’s exposure secure.
- Adding a PIN to all profiles.
- Blocking content according to maturity level.
- Setting profile-based restrictions.
- Blocking certain titles.
- Keeping track of viewing activities.
- Turning off auto-play in specific profiles.
Steps to Set up Netflix Parental Control
Here is the guide to set up parental control on your child’s profile. Every time a new kid’s account is opened, a kid’s profile gets created by default. A maximum of five profiles can be created against one subscription. Once you are done creating the profile, follow these steps.
- Open Netflix on your computer’s web browser.
- You need to sign in if you don’t get signed in automatically.
- Go to the down arrow on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Select the option – “Account”.
- Choose your kid’s profile from the drop-down menu.
- Go to “Viewing restrictions”. Select “Change”.
- Type in your Netflix password.
- Choose the level appropriate for your child or of your preference.
How to Restrict Certain Shows and Movies?
Suppose you have selected the maturity rating level for your child. There may still be some content that you think are inappropriate for their viewing. You can block them easily with this procedure.
- Go to Netflix through your web browser.
- Go to the screen’s right-side and on the down arrow.
- Select – “Account”.
- Select your child’s profile.
- Select “Change” in front of “Viewing Restrictions”.
- Put in your Netflix password.
- Below the “Profile Maturity rating” option, you will find a box for “Title Restrictions”. Enter the names of shows and movies you don’t want your kid to watch.
Once you have set the child’s profile, working around the restrictions and features will keep getting easier with use.
Steps to Lock Your Adult Profile
All the Netflix Parental Control will turn useless if your child has access to your profile and can view unrestricted content. So, locking up your profile is mandatory. Here’s what you need to do.
- Go to your Netflix page and select “Account” on the right side of the screen.
- Choose the drop-down menu.
- Select the option “Profile lock”.
- Choose the option “Change” next to it.
- Type your password.
- Select the option of adding a PIN.
- Type in a 4-digit PIN.
- You may decide to have a PIN to create new profiles in your account too. This will ensure nobody adds any profile without your knowledge.
- Save the options.
Netflix Parental Control Helps you to Keep an Eye on Your Child’s Profile
After you have taken the first safety measures, you may want to know what your kid is watching. Netflix gives you the option to keep a tab on your child’s profile. For that, follow these steps.
- Go to Netflix page and choose your “Account” on the right side of the screen.
- Go to the drop-down menu to reach your child’s profile.
- Select “Viewing Activity” to get to the list of views.
Now that you know what your child has been watching, you may decide to make some more changes in the restrictions option.
If you don’t want your child to keep watching all the episodes at a go, be proactive.
- Take the usual route to reach your child’s profile.
- Go to the option of “Playback settings”.
- Turn off the “Auto-play settings”.
Remember, Netflix does not give screen time settings, so you have to take this extra effort.
Netflix Parental Control Page is User-Friendly
Netflix has four distinct rating buckets – Little kids, Older kids, Teens and Adults. Navigating the setup page is easy. The colour-coded buttons help in the necessary activities.
To recapitulate: Once you log in to your account, your page may prompt you with the option of ‘parental control’ in the ‘settings’ section. The “Parental Control” page will ask you to enter your password and click the Continue button. Next, you will be prompted to set the PIN code for content viewing.
To create a PIN, enter four numerical symbols of your choice in the four blank spaces provided. And save. Below this is the rating choice given as a slider bar. As you choose the level of viewing, the accepted level appears in green. This green line is the level that can be watched without entering a pin code. You can extend or reduce this green line to fit your requirements. The remaining line is shaded grey. This will require a PIN to watch.
Undoing controls: These control settings can be changed or reversed at any time by steering into the Parental control page. If you want to remove all restrictions at any time, you can navigate to the Parental Control page, clicking “Adults” and saving this change. You will not need any PIN to watch any content.
Browser or smartphone: You may wonder if all these profile management options can be done on the Netflix app in your smartphone. You can add restrictions through your phone, but the options are limited. A web browser gives you more choices. You can, of course, check the viewing activity on your phone. Take the effort once and relax about your child’s exposure forever.