A mum has issued a warning after her son almost suffered from sepsis when he experienced a small scrape on his arm.
The woman explained on Instagram that her son had fallen over at the zoo and grazed his arm.
“He took quite a bashing but once we got home, I cleaned him up. I rang school on Farm school day to make sure he washed his hands after digging and I tried hard to ensure it was kept clean,” the mum wrote.
All seemed fairly innocent and normal until her son showed her a strange red line tracking down his vein.
“I noticed red tracking down his vein. I then checked his elbow – the same,” the mum explained of her son’s would. | Image source: Instagram
“I noticed something strange”
“Yesterday on our way to the beach he showed me his hand,” the mum wrote. “I wasn’t happy as I noticed red tracking down his vein. I then checked his elbow – the same.”
She then took her son to the doctor to see if it was of any concern and her GP told her that her son’s wound had lymphangitis, developing into a case of blood poisoning, but “thankfully the antibiotics are working and he is well in himself”.
“If you spot this red line running from a wound get your child seen straight away. Hopefully, my post might help someone the way my friend’s post from two years ago helped me,” she wrote.
Hundreds of messages flooded the post thanking the mum for the information.
“This is sensational. I had no idea about this thank you for sharing,” one person wrote.
“Definitely should be shared. I had no idea and now I’m aware.”
A GP told her that her son’s wound had lymphangitis, developing into a case of blood poisoning, but “thankfully the antibiotics are working and he is well in himself”. | Image source: iStock
What is Lymphangitis?
Lymphangitis happens when bacteria enters the lymphatic system through a cut or a wound and can develop into a staph infection.
Symptoms include a faint red line from the wound or cut as well as chills, fever, headaches, loss of appetite and aching muscles.
If you suspect your child has it, you should contact your GP immediately.
This article was first published in KidSpot and republished on theAsianparent with permission.
Mum’s Horror As 4-Year-Old Son With Leg Pain Gets Diagnosed With Sepsis
Little Girl Gets Sepsis From Trying Out New Shoes: Safety Warning for Mums