Christmas shopping in Singapore: Some surprising facts!
Here are some astonishing facts about Christmas Shopping In Singapore! How much do Singaporeans spend during Christmas?
Ever wondered how much Singaporeans spend during Christmas? In a recently commissioned survey, which polled 500 Singaporeans between the ages of 20 and 60 years old, Giant Singapore has uncovered the cost of Christmas this year.
Christmas shopping in Singapore:
The survey reveals surprising insights on how much a shopper spends, where they spend it, who they spend it on and on what kind of Christmas gifts.
Check out the infographic below detailing the survey results!
Surprising discoveries include:
- This Christmas’ top gift recipients are children (53%) and close friends (49%), followed by significant others (43%) and colleagues/bosses (40%).
- Close to 50% of Singaporeans are more likely to buy gifts for their co-workers as compared to their siblings or parents.
- Finding a meaningful gift and affordability are the most important factors for people when shopping.
- Singaporeans are likely to spend $100 or more on each gift for parents, grandparents and significant others, while only spending $50 - $99 on siblings and children, $20 - $39 on close friends and relatives and only $10 - $19 on colleagues and bosses.
- Singaporeans have set aside $100-$300 on gifting this year and close to 1 in 5 Singaporeans have set aside more than $500 for their festive shopping.
Men are surprisingly the more generous spenders this holiday season with over 60% of them planning to spend $100 or more on gifts for their significant other as compared to women (39%).
In fact, almost half of male respondents have set aside $300 and more on Christmas gifts, while only 32% of women plan to do the same.
- However, while having deeper pockets, the survey found that men are not great planners with 1 in 3 male respondents planning to only start shopping just a week before Christmas while a majority of women are early birds who would purchase gifts two to three weeks ahead.
- Giant’s survey also reveals the types of gifts people are most likely to buy for the friends and family on their Christmas gifting list:
Children – Toys & Games (66%), Books & Stationery (34%), Confectionery (25%)
Close friends – Confectionery (39%), Beauty & Grooming (32%), Wine & Spirits (22%)
Significant other – Clothes & Jewelry (44%), Gadgets (21%), Beauty & Grooming (20%), Experiential gifts (20%)
Colleagues/bosses – Confectionery (59%), Wine & Spirits (30%), Novelties (19%)
Meanwhile, this Christmas, from 3 November to 22 December, Giant is celebrating the season of gifting with an extended 50 Days of Giant Christmas promotion where over 4,000 products, including a Daily Super Deal, are on offer to meet every gifting need and every budget.
Enjoy up to 60% off on the hottest gifts this season. Visit www.giant.sg/christmas for more details.