Christmas shopping in Singapore: Some surprising facts!
Here are some astonishing facts about Christmas Shopping In Singapore! How much do Singaporeans spend during Christmas?
Ever wondered how much Singaporeans spend during Christmas? In a recently commissioned survey, which polled 500 Singaporeans between the ages of 20 and 60 years old, Giant Singapore has uncovered the cost of Christmas this year.
The survey reveals surprising insights on how much a shopper spends, where they spend it, who they spend it on and on what kind of Christmas gifts.
Check out the infographic below detailing the survey results!
Surprising discoveries include:
- This Christmas’ top gift recipients are children (53%) and close friends (49%), followed by significant others (43%) and colleagues/bosses (40%).
- Close to 50% of Singaporeans are more likely to buy gifts for their co-workers as compared to their siblings or parents.
- Finding a meaningful gift and affordability are the most important factors for people when shopping.
- Singaporeans are likely to spend $100 or more on each gift for parents, grandparents and significant others, while only spending $50 - $99 on siblings and children, $20 - $39 on close friends and relatives and only $10 - $19 on colleagues and bosses.
- Singaporeans have set aside $100-$300 on gifting this year and close to 1 in 5 Singaporeans have set aside more than $500 for their festive shopping.
Men are surprisingly the more generous spenders this holiday season with over 60% of them planning to spend $100 or more on gifts for their significant other as compared to women (39%).
In fact, almost half of male respondents have set aside $300 and more on Christmas gifts, while only 32% of women plan to do the same.
- However, while having deeper pockets, the survey found that men are not great planners with 1 in 3 male respondents planning to only start shopping just a week before Christmas while a majority of women are early birds who would purchase gifts two to three weeks ahead.
- Giant’s survey also reveals the types of gifts people are most likely to buy for the friends and family on their Christmas gifting list:
Children – Toys & Games (66%), Books & Stationery (34%), Confectionery (25%)
Close friends – Confectionery (39%), Beauty & Grooming (32%), Wine & Spirits (22%)
Significant other – Clothes & Jewelry (44%), Gadgets (21%), Beauty & Grooming (20%), Experiential gifts (20%)
Colleagues/bosses – Confectionery (59%), Wine & Spirits (30%), Novelties (19%)
Meanwhile, this Christmas, from 3 November to 22 December, Giant is celebrating the season of gifting with an extended 50 Days of Giant Christmas promotion where over 4,000 products, including a Daily Super Deal, are on offer to meet every gifting need and every budget.
Enjoy up to 60% off on the hottest gifts this season. Visit www.giant.sg/christmas for more details.