Balinese chicken satay recipe
Try this special recipe and surprise your family, trust us--they will be asking for a second helping. Read on for the full recipe and have an authentic Indonesian experience. Yummy!
600g chicken ~ minced
100g prawn ~ minced
6 chives ~ cut ½ cm
3 tbsp coconut
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp sugar
22-25 lemongrass / bamboo stick ~ as skewer
3 cloves garlic
3 red chillies ~ deseeded
2 bird eye chillies
20g fresh turmeric
½ tsp shrimp paste (belachan)
5 kafir lime leaves
- In food processor, combine all ingredients plus 6 tbsp cooking oil & grind to smooth paste. Add a little of water if needed to help blending.
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the spice paste & cook over medium heat until becomes fragrant or golden brown. Set aside & cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add minced chicken/prawn, coconut & chives. Mix well to combine & add the cool spice paste, season with salt & sugar. Mix the mixture until evenly coated with the spice paste.
- Take a heaped of the mixture (each 30g) place on your palm & take a piece of lemongrass/bamboo stick, mould & press lightly around the lemongrass. Place the mould mixture on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
- Then put in the fridge for about 30 mins to an hour, to harden the mixture mould. When ready to bake, let it to room temperature for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C & bake for 20 mins.
Recipe from Hani Campbell
I stopped working since 2004 when I had my 1st baby girl and now I’m a full time mother to 4 beautiful young children, aged between 2yrs – 8 yrs old and a stage mom to my 3 daughters as a young talent. I’ve to juggle my life between wife & mother to my family. My husband, an American, loves to cook dinner for his family. I began to cook right after my son’s birth (2006).
As my children grew, their taste for food began to change. My husband & I decided that we should feed our children Asian food. We wanted our children to learn more about the Asian Culture and the different kind of foods. When comes to Asian food, it’s my turn to cook lunch/dinner for my family. My children love to eat & they inspire me.