Will My Stomach Tattoo Be Ruined After Pregnancy?
Many mums-to-be wonder if their stomach tattoo will be stretched by pregnancy. Here's how you can prevent and take care of your skin art!
Many mums-to-be might be wondering if their stomach tattoo will be stretched by pregnancy. The unfortunate truth is that yes, your tattoo will most likely go through some changes because of your pregnancy. The scale of the distortion to your tattoo varies from person to person and how you take care of the area during pregnancy.
Why will my stomach tattoo get damaged?
During pregnancy, your stomach stretches at such a fast pace that your body does not have enough time to adjust to the change. This rapid stretching can sometimes leave you with stretch marks.
Stretch marks can distort and/or fade a tattoo, especially in the case of a large stretch mark running through the middle of it. Whether or not your body is left with stretch marks or not after pregnancy depends on each individual.
Also keep in mind that if a C-section should become necessary when giving birth, your tattoo could undergo even more abuse.
If you have not already got that tummy tattoo and are thinking of having more kids in the future, it might be wise to wait on it. Alternatively, it might be best to place the tattoo someplace that won't get stretched so much, like the chest area above the breasts.
Keep reading for tips on how to take care of your tattoo during pregnancy!
What should I do to minimise the stretch marks on my abdomen tattoo?
If you already have that tattoo and removing it just isn't an option you're prepared to consider (we completely understand), then you should look at ways to minimise the damage done to your tattoo during your pregnancy.
Cover ups are a great way to fix tattoos that have been distorted due to pregnancy.
The stretching of your skin is pretty much inevitable, however, you can ensure that your skin remains healthy! Healthy, hydrated, and nourished skin has higher elasticity. This means that once you've given birth, your skin will tighten easier than it would, had you not taken care of it.
How do I ensure my skin is properly looked after?
- Keep hydrated. It may sound like an extremely simple step. Truth be told, it is! However, the effects of keeping your skin (and body) hydrated are seemingly endless. Try to get your 8-10 glasses of water a day. This not only helps flush out all the toxins in your body but it also maintains your skin's elasticity.
- Cocoa butter or coconut oil. We're sure you've already heard about the benefits of cocoa butter and coconut oil. They may not be able to prevent stretch marks but they do give your skin all the moisture it needs. Your skin will be stretching rapidly and moisturised skin stretches more willingly than dry skin.
- Prepare for touch-ups. If you already have tattoos across your abdomen and breasts, head to your tattoo artist and have them take pictures of the art with your phone. This will come in handy when the time comes for touch-ups. Your artist will have an image to refer to when restoring your tattoo to its former glory!
- Are you planning on getting pregnant again? If you are, it would be wise to put off scheduling your touch-ups until after. The frequent touch-ups and re-stretching of your skin could have less than desirable results.
- Speak to a nutritionist. It's easy to overeat when you're pregnant. You are, after all, 'eating for two'. We hate to burst your bubble but the recommended increase of your food intake is only 300-500 calories (there are exceptions to this rule), it may not seem like a lot but it is possible to get all the extra nutrients you need for your growing baby! This is why it is important that you speak to a professional about your needs. Come up with a plan and stick to it, this way you ensure you're not going to gain too much extra weight during your pregnancy.
Try not to worry about it too much!
There you go, inked-mummas, all you need to know about tattoo care during pregnancy. Try not to worry about it too much, your skin should heal and regenerate with proper care. Alternatively, there are amazing tattoo artists out there who are capable of extreme touch-ups.
If nothing else, you could see it the way we do - your tiger stripes are amazing and are proof of the life you brought into this world. Hey, it adds a little character to your ink, don't you think?
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram to stay up-to-date on the latest from sg.theAsianparent.com!!