C-section scars can be viewed from different perspectives. Some mothers embrace the scar as a post-birth souvenir while others prefer it to be as invisible as possible. C-section scars typically take about 6 weeks to fully heal. Aside from using scar reduction cream, here are some suggestions to help C-section wound healing and minimise scarring:
- Keep your wound clean: This prevents infection and provides a smoother journey to full recovery.
- Wear loose clothing: Tight clothing around the waist might impair airflow around the wound, therefore reducing the rate of recovery.
- Eat a nutritious diet: Having a balanced diet gives your body the energy and nutrition it requires for cell regeneration, so remember to fuel right!
- Skip the intense workouts (for the time being): Movements during high-intensity, high-impact workouts might stretch the scar, thus causing irritation. Don’t worry, you can always regain your physical fitness once your incision is fully healed.
- Use products like scar reduction cream: There are products in the market specifically designed to help with the healing and reduction of scarring. If you are a mother who is seeking to reduce the appearance of their post-C-section scars, you are in the right place!
[product-comparison-table title="Best C-Section Scar Removal"]
What to look for in a c-section scar reduction cream
- Safe ingredients - Firstly, ingredients should be free of harmful substances such as parabens, phthalates, and sodium laureth sulfate (SLS). These substances should be avoided because they are likely to trigger unwanted irritation and itching.
- Moisturising - Secondly, c-section scar reduction products should have moisturising properties in order to enhance skin regeneration processes and thus, wound recovery.
- Hypoallergenic - Thirdly, we know that allergies are common. Therefore, we have to look out for potential triggers in the ingredients list of C-section Scar reduction products.
- Highly effective - Lastly, we seek expert-approved products with proven results. We also review customers’ testimonials to give you a realistic picture of the products’ results and credibility.
There are various types of scar removal products available in the market. Thus, we have included oils, scar remover cream, and gels in our list.
In the search for the best C-section scar reduction products, we ensure that the ingredients are approved by experts, non-toxic, and safe for the skin.
We also look for highly effective products that can help you reduce the scarring quickly, comfortably and conveniently.
Best C-Section Scar Removal Products
Here is the list of the top 7 C-section scar removal creams, gels, and oils:
Best value for money
Bio-Oil Natural Skincare Oil is made with all-natural ingredients and contains zero artificial additives, chemicals and fragrances. The power of natural oils such as Jojoba oil, Rosehip oil and so on, helps decrease the appearance of your scars while keeping your skin soft and supple.
Bio-Oil Natural Skincare Oil moisturises and hydrates without clogging your pores so it can also be used for acne and smoothing of uneven skin tones. It is safe for use during pregnancy and suitable for all skin types.
Satisfied customers have stated that it does not leave a sticky residue and it also leaves their skin feeling soft. The price of Bio-oil Natural Skincare Oil is considered quite reasonable too, at $21 for a 2 fluid ounce bottle.
- 100% natural
- Hydrates and moisturises
- Safe for use during pregnancy
- For all skin types
Best for dry, sensitive skin
If your skin is easily irritable due to dryness and sensitivity, consider using Bio-essence Bio-treatment Essence Oil! It is formulated with 11 specially selected plant extracts, including green tea extract, olive oil, chamomile oil, as well as lavender extracts.
All these natural ingredients combined have wound-healing and anti-inflammatory effects.
Due to this, the product speeds up the healing process and minimises scar formation. Dermatologically tested, it also enhances skin elasticity by increasing the rate of collagen expression.
Some reviewers have cited breakouts as an initial concern when they started using the Bio-essence Bio-treatment Essence oil. However, this is not so much a concern when used for C-section scar recovery. At less than $20 per 60 ml bottle, it is good value for money.
- 11 plant extracts
- Dermatologically tested
- Good for dry, sensitive skin
- Improves skin elasticity
Best organic scar recovery cream
MotherLove C-section Cream has everything you need for a smooth, speedy recovery. Certified organic by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), it is not only free of harmful ingredients like parabens, phthalates, lanolin, petroleum, and petroleum by-products but also incorporates a unique combination of plant ingredients.
Firstly, it has calendula flowers for antibacterial purposes. Secondly, it has marshmallow root for its moisturising properties. Thirdly, it includes rosehips for collagen stimulation. Lastly, this scar remover cream has a yarrow herb to reduce blood stagnation.
Good news for those who are allergic to soy and gluten, MotherLove C-section cream does not contain those two ingredients so you don’t have to worry about your allergies flaring up. For optimal results, apply the scar remover cream three times a day.
- Certified USDA organic
- Zero harmful chemicals
- Antibacterial properties
- Moisturising scar remover cream
- Free of soy and gluten
- Animal-cruelty free
Best fast-acting scar reduction cream
Mederma Overnight Scar Cream is the dermatologist-recommended solution that helps you do the recovery work while you are sleeping.
Its special Triple-action formula helps to achieve three goals. Firstly, scar cream helps in collagen production. Secondly, it has the goal of locking-in in moisture.
And lastly, this scar cream promises cell renewal. It is also enhanced with Tripeptol™, formulated to nourish your skin using peptides, antioxidants and collagen.
The non-greasy formula is suitable for sensitive skin. What's more, it's gentle enough for children aged 2 onwards. For best results, simply apply once every night.
Noticeable improvements in scarring visibility are usually observed after about 4 weeks of consistent application with optimal results seen in 8 weeks.
Although scar cream can be used on many types of scars, it is recommended not to be used on deep or puncture wounds, animal bites and serious burns (third-degree onwards).
- Triple-action formula with Tripeptol™
- Non-greasy scar cream
- Improvements after 4 weeks
- Works for both old and new scars
Best antibacterial scar recovery gel
Derma-E Scar Gel ticks off the boxes as the ultimate soothing treatment for C-section wounds. Made in the United States, the non-oily gel has been proven to soothe and hydrate while reducing scar visibility and promoting healthy-looking skin.
It contains onion bulb extract which has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, therefore protecting you against unwanted visitors. Regulation of skin renewal is stimulated by the combination of the main ingredients: Onion bulb extract, Allantoin and Panthenol.
This special blend of botanical extracts gives rise to a pleasant scent while ensuring your skin gets the recovery treatment it deserves.
The gel is made sustainably without parabens, sodium lauryl sulfates, petroleum, mineral oils and artificial colours. It is also made without soy and gluten so mothers allergic to these ingredients can use the Derma-E Scar gel safely.
Moreover, this vegan product does not contain any genetically modified ingredients and is against animal testing.
- Soothing effects
- Pleasant smell scar remover cream
- Self-healing stimulated
- No harmful ingredients
- Manufactured sustainably
- Animal cruelty-free
Best medical grade scar recovery gel
Aroamas Advanced Scar Gel scores an A in scar therapy. Clinically tested, it uses medical grade silicone to reduce scarring and is effective on both new and old scars.
It works for various types of scars, ranging from C-sections to burns, rashes and so on. You can see results in just 8 weeks for new scars. However, old scars will take about 3 to 6 months, which is a much longer time.
Formulated with all-natural ingredients that are gentle on your skin, Aroamas Advanced Scar Gel does not give any burning or stinging sensation when applied. In addition, it dries quickly without any odours, so you don’t have to feel self-conscious about applying the cream.
- Medical-grade Silicone
- Effective for various types of scars
- Clinically tested
- Gentle on skin
- Dries quickly
- Odourless scar remover gel
Best for outdoor use
BioCorneum Scar Gel is perfect for outdoor use with its one-of-a-kind FDA-Cleared Silishield® patented crosslinking medical grade silicone and SPF 30 combination.
The gel provides a breathable, invisible layer of protection for scar recovery while shielding the scar from the harmful effects of the sun’s UV rays. BioCorneum Scar Gel also dries quickly. Moreover, it will not peel after drying.
Apart from reducing the appearance of scars, it also reduces skin redness and discolouration. Further, it relieves uncomfortable itching that comes with scar healing. The gentle formula is suitable for sensitive skin and can even be used for babies as little as 6 months old.
However, the downside is that BioCorneum Scar Gel is on the pricier side.
- SPF 30 for protection against UV rays
- FDA-Cleared Silishield® patented crosslinking medical grade silicone
- Dries quickly
- Reduces skin discolouration
- Relieves itching
- Gentle formula
Price Comparison: C-Section Scar Reduction Cream
We've listed down the prices to help you choose, whether you're ready to invest in a scar reduction cream or just test the waters with a budget-friendly alternative.
Note: Each item and price is up to date; however, an item may be sold out or the price may be different at a later date.
Editor's note: The product links provided here are aimed to help simplify product searches for our readers. Purchase the items at your own discretion. We do not take liability for any transaction issues and dispute. If you purchase an item from this post, theAsianparent may receive a small cut. Each item and price is up to date at the time of publication; however, an item may be sold out or the price may be different at a later date.
Also read: Best Postpartum Underwear Brands In Singapore: Comfortable And Absorbent Picks To Help Your Recovery