Toddler left permanently mute after drinking drain cleaner

Toddler left permanently mute after drinking drain cleaner

A 2-year-old toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner in a supermarket, leaving him with serious injuries and permanently unable to speak.

A toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner while he and his mum were in a supermarket in the UK. The horrible incident left the child with serious injuries that caused him to lose the ability to speak.

Even though the incident happened some time ago, it serves as a reminder about how important it is to always keep an eye on our little ones.  

Toddler Accidentally Drinks Drain Cleaner: How Did It Happen?

toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner

Ayman is no longer able to speak, and has to be fed through a tube.

Ayman Faysal, was only two years old when he accidentally opened and drank a bottle of drain cleaner from the bottom shelf in a supermarket. He managed to easily remove the childproof cap, and drank the contents.

The toddler did it in a few minutes, while his mother’s back was turned.

His mother, Saira, shared that she was shocked to see her son’s lips turned purple and blue, and blood came out of his mouth.

She shares, “I didn’t know what it was or what had happened at first, I just knew it was something bad.”

“I remember screaming at the staff to phone an ambulance while I tried to get as much as I could out with my hands. I was terrified. All I kept thinking was ‘Please don’t let me lose my son,'” she added.

Saira also received injuries as she desperately tried to help her son. Ayman spent a month in the ICU and six weeks in a ward before he was able to return home.

He underwent a tracheostomy where a hole was created in his trachea so that he can breathe and eat. His injuries also left him unable to speak. Ayman uses an iPad to communicate and is also learning to use sign language.

Eventually, a court found the store was at fault since the hazardous chemicals were placed on the bottom shelf, where they can be easily reached by children. The manufacturer was also held responsible since the child was easily able to remove the “tamper-proof” cap.

Despite the ruling, all Saira wants is to be able to hear her son’s voice once more.

Keep Your Kids Safe from Hazardous Chemicals

Raising curious kids is fun, but there are also risks you need to manage. Kids have a habit of being inquisitive about everything, and this can include hazardous chemicals. A sad case was what happened to Ayman, where the toddler accidentally drank drain cleaner and caused serious injury to himself.

Kids can sometimes be tempted to play with or open the colorful containers of chemicals that are commonly used at home. And it can have disastrous results.

Here are some important things to remember to keep your child safe from chemicals:

  • Keep any harmful chemicals away from the reach of children.
  • Make sure that all chemical containers are sealed and secure.
  • Install child-proof latches on cabinets where chemicals are contained.
  • Never leave cleaning supplies unattended. Always keep an eye on them when you are cleaning the house, and keep an eye on your child.
  • Place pills and other drugs in a medicine cabinet.
  • Only buy products with tamper-resistant and childproof caps and containers.
  • Don’t place cleaning products or chemicals in dishes or cups that are used for food.
  • Teach your kids to steer clear of any harmful chemicals.

Source: Metro

Photo: Facebook

READ: Accidental poisoning in children: crucial information for parents

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by

Jan Alwyn

app info
get app banner