Theme park accident : "They saw their mothers get crushed to death!"
Four people died after a raft in the Thunder River Rapids ride flipped and crushed two people under a conveyor belt, and also drowned two others.
An amazing day at a theme park suddenly turned into sheer horror as four people were killed while riding the Thunder River Rapids ride in Dreamland Australia.
She screamed in horror as she watched her mother die
Four people died after a raft in the Thunder River Rapids ride flipped and crushed two people, and drowned two others. The victims were Kate Goodchild, 32, her brother Luke Dorsett, partner Roozi Araghi and a 42-year-old Cindy Low.
Apparently, Mrs. Goodchild's daughter, 12, was thrown off to safety, and according to reports, she screamed in horror as she watched her mother die right in front of her eyes. Mrs. Low's son, 10, saw his mother get crushed under the conveyor belt.
It wasn't the first time the ride malfunctioned that day
According to the investigation, the accident occured when a raft hit an empty raft that got stuck near the end of the ride. The victims' raft then flipped, causing the two mothers to get crushed under the conveyor belt, and the two men to drown.
It also wasn't the first time that the ride malfunctioned that day, as other park goers have reported that the ride was closed down earlier in the day due to malfunctions.
Kim, the mother of the brother and sister that died in the accident shared on Facebook, "My family have been completely wiped out. I have three children and two of them are now gone. My eight-month-old granddaughter is never going to know her mother and that truly breaks my heart."
Investigators are currently looking at CCTV footage to find the exact reason for the accident. The park had also announced that it will be closed indefinitely.
Theme park safety for families
Theme parks are really amazing places, and are full of fun activities for everyone in your family. While theme parks are generally safe, especially the more popular ones, it's still a good idea to know what safety tips to keep in mind when going to the theme park.
- Always follow the rules. The rules in a theme park are there to keep everyone safe and away from injury. So make it a point to read the rules with your kids and make sure to follow them.
- Know where your kids are at all times. Kids can easily get lost inside theme parks, and it's not uncommon for a child or a parent to get distracted and then go missing. Make sure to always keep an eye on your kids at all times.
- Be extra careful in water parks. If you're going to a water park, make sure to know your kids' swimming ability. Even rides that are suitable for young children can be potentially dangerous if your kids are not proficient swimmers.
- Make sure to take breaks. When riding roller coasters, make sure to take breaks in between. The high speed can strain you and your kids' joints and muscles. Take 15 minute breaks before moving on to the next ride.
- Strap you and your kids in securely. Double check any belts, straps, or latches to make sure that they're secure. Ask for assistance from any park staff if you need to.
- Pick rides accordingly. Your kid might meet the requirements for a ride, but they might get too scared of it once they ride it. Make sure to know your kids' limits and teach them that it's better to be safe than to have an accident.
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from sg.theAsianparent.com!!