Beat the heat with this 3-ingredient ice cream recipe
Beat the heat and score with the kids and young at heart with this super easy 3 ingredient home made ice cream recipe!
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (150ml) sweetened condensed milk – I reduced this to 125ml
- 3 tablespoons (24g) unsweetened cocoa powder – I used Valrhona
- 1 cup whipping cream (240ml) – For best results, use whipping cream that has at least 36%+ fat content
- Into a mixing bowl, add the condensed milk and half of the cocoa powder.
- Mix to combine then add the remaining cocoa powder and mix again.
- Once the mixture is well-mixed, set it aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Take about 1/5 of the whipped cream and drop it into the chocolate mixture. Beat this in to stabilize the mixture.
- Pour all the chocolate mixture into the remaining whipped cream. Gently fold until combined.
- Once done, pout this into a container with an air-tight lid.
- Freeze the ice cream for at least 6 hours but over-night is way better!
- One thing to note about whisking cream is that it will seem to take forever to reach the soft peak stage but once it does, it can very quickly form stiff peaks and if you continue beating, it may curdle. So whatever you do, just hang around and keep a close eye on the cream. DON’T WALK AWAY!
- Since this is a home made ice cream, you will need to let it sit on the kitchen counter for 5-10minutes before dishing it out.
- I doubled the quantities and made enough to fill a 1.5 quarts (1.4 litre) Tovolo Glide-a-Scoop Ice-cream Tub.
Tips from theAsianparent:
- For added fibre and a twist of flavours, add fruits such as berries to create your very own…. Choco-berry flavour!
- When serving this homemade ice cream, try pairing it with hot waffles or condiments such as chocolate syrup, bananas, nuts (for that extra healthy fats and proteins!) and rainbow sprinklers to excite your kids!