Questions to ask yourself before you start a family
Deciding to have a child is a momentous decision. It demands a lifetime commitment to provide undying love, education, shelter and attention. Before you have a child, it is vital that you and your spouse consider your decision carefully.
Questions to answer before you start a family
Before you start a family, you have to knock some serious discussions out of the way because when the baby is here…there is no turning back.
- Are you both truly committed to having a child or is it just the instincts to procreate kicking in?
- Are you being pressured by your spouse or parents to have a child, or is it truly your decision?
- Are you prepared (financially and emotionally) for the chance that you might have twins or more?
- Are you able to handle both work and family? Or will you leave your job?
- Do you have enough space at home for a child?
- How stable is your current spousal relationship–will a baby add strain or value to your marriage?
- How your relationship with friends and those around you will change?
- Are you ready to give up sleeping in during the weekends and staying up all night for feeding/diaper changes?
- What religion your child will practice (especially if you are from a mixed-marriage)?
- Are you ready to surrender control of your body?
- How much help will Mummy receive from Daddy?
- Will you be getting help from in-laws, a domestic helper or going solo?
- Why do you really want this baby in your lives (your true motives) ?
- Are you ready for an end to your honeymoon phase in life because it’s going to get tough?
- Discuss how to raise the child. Who’s the boss?
If after going through those questions you still feel that you are ready to be a parent, then it’s vital that you give your baby the best possible start by getting your own life sorted before you get pregnant.
Do spend a few month making changes to your diet and lifestyle. If you have an existing medical condition, you will also need to speak to your doctor about making changes to your prescriptions.
Things to do before you start a family
So, if you have decided to go ahead with starting a family, we commend you on bracing a gargantuan challenge. Remember, things will never be the same after the arrival of your child. Think about all the things you want to do before you start a family–do them!
We’re talking about: sleeping in, exotic and romantic couple trips, sexy time (anytime and anywhere before it’s too late), splurge on yourself (before baby comes first), stay out all night without worry, fill up on romantic night’s out, take a girl’s trip on a whim, thoroughly enjoy each other before 2 becomes 3.