It was only a matter of time before experts find a link between social media and depression. Regrettably, the continuous advancements in technology and the internet made this all possible.
Now that most people from different parts of the world are using social media, we can easily see its advantages and disadvantages. Fortunately, experts recently found a link between social media, depression, and technology in terms of how it could save lives.
Indeed, the newest technology brought innovation to almost every country across the globe. We live in an era where almost everything is digital and convenient.
After people become aware of how gadgets can make people’s lives easier, we become a bit dependent on them.
Just a few decades ago, the use of gadgets and other mobile devices only belonged to the “wants” of people. As years pass by, the use of it becomes people’s “need” and necessity.
You can hardly see people who do not uses gadgets nowadays, as it serves as every people’s number one source of information. Individuals also use it to communicate with other people anytime and anywhere easily.
One thing the things people do with their gadgets is to go online using their social media accounts. Indeed, going online using our smart gadgets is convenient and makes our lives easier. Still, it would be better if we all knew how it could affect us so that we may be able to use them efficiently.
Image Source: iStock
The Positive and Negative Effects of Using Social Media
Knowing social media’s positive and negative effects may help people learn how to maximise its benefits. It also helps them to become aware and avoid experiencing its negative impact on their life and well-being.
Here are the top positive things that you can enjoy using social media:
- The best advantage and essence of using social media are that it allows people to connect. It will enable us to stay connected with our family, friends, and loved ones anytime and anywhere.
- It helps people to develop their skills through online learning, content discovery, and job skills.
- Nowadays, online platforms have become one of the primary sources of information.
- It makes people’s lives easier by making things more accessible to everyone.
- One of the beauties of using social media is that it helps promote civic engagements, such as social awareness and fundraising, and provides a voice for every individual.
- More opportunities for everyone! Whether business or employment, social media provides opportunities for people to pursue their paths.
Now that you already know the top and common advantages of using social media, it would also be essential to know its negative side to maximise its benefits. Here are some disadvantages of using social media:
- Social media is full of mood-modifying experiences that could sometimes make you addicted to using it.
- There are some instances when social media users feel the Fear of Missing Out or FOMO.
- Heartbreakingly, bullying is one of the things that you can consider as the ugly sides of using social media.
These are just a few things that you might experience with the use of social media. Keep on reading if you want to know more about it.
Image Source: iStock
Link Between Social Media Patterns and Depression Rates
Experts identified a link between social media, depression, and internet use in terms of how it could save lives. They found out that people can also use social media to identify people at risk of ending their lives.
Approximately 50% of all lifetime mental illnesses begin at 14. Heartbreakingly, many of them experienced the thought of taking their own lives and attempted to do it.
Patterns in Text Messages
With the help of the newest technology, experts could examine about 200,000 text messages to identify the text from people who later attempted suicide.
They used software which is designed to flag similar texts to help identify people that could possibly be at risk of suicide.
In the context of statistics, the connection between social media and depression that leads to suicide can be appalling. Experts found that about 8 out of 10 people with suicidal thoughts are more likely to disclose their plans online.
Experts then come up with a program or algorithm which could do these three things at once:
- Make an analysation of the most recent tweet on an individual who expressed suicidal thoughts or ideas;
- View the most recent post in both a social context and emotional context; and
- Factored in the mental health status, as well as the suicidal ideation of the user’s online peer group. It is because it is considered one of the best indicators of an individual’s likelihood of taking their own life.
You may be wondering if there are things you can do to help them. Here are some:
- Encourage your kids to spread kindness.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions.
- Always remember that it will always be one of the best decisions to seek professional advice.
- Help your child and encourage them to be good humans.