Man dies after he saves his son in a fire
A Malaysian man saves his son after their house was ravaged by a blaze....
There are few things in this world as noble as a parent sacrificing his life to save his child. On Thursday (Jan 11) a man died rescuing his three-year-old son from a fire that broke out in their home in Malaysia.
The victim was Ahmad Fakhrurazi Shafie, 45, deputy chief of the Kuala Ibai branch of the Malaysian ruling party Umno. He was found lying unconscious outside his house with his son, who sat on his chest.
Authorities believe Fakhrurazi died from smoke inhalation.
A father saves his son
His 73-year-old mother, Tengku Maznah Tengku Sulong, lives near her son’s home. She said “My son’s eldest nephew told me that Ahmad Fakhrurazi had fainted (during the fire) but when I arrived at the scene of the incident, he had already breathed his last.”
She was unaware of the fire that occurred at around 8:30am. She added that Ahmad Fakhrurazi was last seen clutching his youngest child to his chest as he ran outside the house to safety. He collapsed shortly afterwards.
Where there’s smoke
Ahmad Fakhrurazi was left alone with the youngest of his four children, Muhammad Aqil Harith Ahmad Fakhrurazi when the incident happened. His wife, 38-year-old Tengku Mastura Tengku Ahmad, was at work while their three other children were at school.
Tengku Mastura was four months pregnant at the time of the incident.
The first person on the scene was the victim’s 18-year-old nephew, Ahmad Syahir Azizi Ahmad Zulfa. He said he was on his way to his workplace nearby when he spotted smoke rising out of the victim’s home. He thought someone was burning garbage.
“I heard the sound of a window shattering and saw smoke when I got into the house where I work,” he said. “I immediately rushed to the scene and saw the victim, who looked pale, lying unconscious with his son on top of him.”
He added, “I tried to revive him but to no avail. I was made to understand later that my uncle had died as soon as the medical team arrived.”
Terengganu Fire and Rescue Department director Azlimin Mat Noor stated they deployed 18 firemen and two engines to put out the blaze. The flames had engulfed the house by the time they arrived.
“We took 10 minutes to bring the fire under control and prevented it from spreading to nearby houses. We estimate the fire had damaged 50 per cent of the house,” he said. He added that the fire damaged only the ground floor of the house.
They buried Ahmad Fakhrurazi’s remains at the Gong Pauh Muslim Cemetery.
What to do when there’s a fire in your home
The Suffolk County Council in England detailed these simple tips on what to do when a fire breaks out in your home.
1. If a fire starts in your house get out, stay out and dial you local fire hotline.
2. If you call the local fire hotline:
- give the operator your full address,
- details of the building on fire, for example a two-storey house,
- details of anyone still trapped in the building and the room they are in.
3. When a fire starts to burn, it’s important that everyone in your house knows what to do should a fire occur.
4. If you hear a smoke alarm or discover a fire:
- try not to panic,
- tell everyone in the house,
- using your pre-planned escape route, get everyone out of the building as quickly as possible,
- stay low or crawl on the floor where it’s easier to breathe; remember, smoke rises,
- don’t stop to collect any valuables or possessions,
- don’t stop to look for pets,
- if possible, close the door to the room where the fire is located and close all doors behind you as you leave (to delay the spread of fire and smoke),
- before opening a closed door, touch it with the back of your hand; don’t open it if feels warm – the fire will be on the other side.
5. Don’t go back into the building.
- Find somewhere safe near the building and wait for the fire service to arrive.
- If someone is still inside the building, tell the fire service and give details.
- Don’t go back into the building. You’ll prevent the fire service from doing what they need to do and put your own life at risk too.
You can also read: Poor Chinese children die after lighting fire at home to keep warm.
Man Says He Missed His Father's Passing After Being Held Back At Work, Wishes Employers Be More Compassionate
No Helmets, No Lights, No Brakes: Young Teens on Fixed-Gear Bicycles Weave Among Traffic in Sin Ming
Sister Posts Tribute To Brother Who Took His Own Life at 28, Urge Others To Look Out for Loved Ones