Red Velvet Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Nothing beats the sweet aroma of fresh bakes from your own kitchen. Savour these moist red velvet cupcakes peppered with a pinch of coffee!
2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened, cocoa powder
2 cups (450g) sugar - I halved this
1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil - I used canola oil
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
2 teaspoon (10ml ) of vanilla extract
1-2 oz. (28.3 - 56.6g) red food coloring
1 teaspoon (5ml) of white distilled vinegar
½ cup (120ml) prepared plain hot coffee - I mix 1 tablespoon instant coffee with 1/2 cup hot water
- In a mixing bowl, add the sugar and vegetable oil. Beat this until the oil and sugar are blended. Add the eggs and beat to combine.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla extract and vinegar. Continue beating.
- Add red food colouring, followed by the coffee.
- Sift together the dry ingredients – plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Add this to the wet ingredients in 2 batches. Mix on low speed to combine.
- When all the dry ingredients have been added, give the bowl a scrape with a spatula and give the mixture one final mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners until they are 2/3 full.
- Bake the cupcakes at 180°C for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes in the baking tray for 10-15 minutes before transferring them into a wire rack to cool completely. Make sure the red velvet cupcakes are completely cool before you frost them!
Now you're all ready for a tea party with family and friends! Brew some fresh tea leaves and sip it with your pretty bakes - enjoy the simple things in life together.