How to employ a transfer FDW (maid)
Learn how to employ a transfer maid without any hassles!
While some parents prefer to be more hands-on with their children and their home, other families need assistance from a competent and dependable maid. In Singapore, there are two ways to secure a full-time maid — from an agency or directly employ a transfer maid.
Normally, maids in Singapore are employed via a reputable agency. Unfortunately, maids hired from agencies can sometimes cost about up to S$4,000. This is a lot of money but it covers several requirements needed for the maid. This may or may not include:
- Arrival tickets
- Registration and overseas recruitment fee (for foreign maids)
- Medical checkup
- Entry test fee
- Safety awareness fee
- Administration fee for work permit application
- Medical insurance
- Security bond
Because of how expensive hiring maids can be, most parents just work double hard to manage everything at home. But for working parents, they have no choice but to fork out the money.
Transfer maids are those that are hired directly from their current employer here in Singapore. While you might still need to use an agency to sort out the paperwork,you don’t have to pay the full fee. A transfer maid fee is usually around $500.
Families employing transfer maids has become somewhat of a trend in Singapore. Here are some other reasons why people are hiring transfer maids:
- Since the maid has already resided in Singapore for quite some time, the lifestyle and the language is no longer a shock.
- Possible employers can readily interview the maid if skills, work ethic and past employment experiences are up to par.
- Agency fees for new maids are just so expensive.
- When you want to employ a transfer maid, the very first thing you need to do is search for one. Ask relatives, friends or co-workers for any recommendations in case their own maids are looking for a transfer.
- If no one you know has a transfer maid recommendation, trying checking online. Several Singaporean online forums and Facebook groups post information on maid transfers. If you are a member of any of these sites, you can also post your own ad stating that you want to employ a transfer maid.
- If you can’t find any yourself, you can go to a few maid agencies in Lucky plaza or katong shopping centre and interview the maids attached to these agencies. Do head on a Sunday as that is when most of the transfer maids will be at the agency. If you like a particular transfer maid you can ask her to accompany you home for 1-2 hours so the rest of your family can meet with her.
- When interviewing potential transfer maids, it is important to check their past employment record apart from personal background. Tip: Try looking for maids that have been working for at least a year or two for their employer.
- Before you employ a transfer maid, you might want to talk to their current boss. This will allow you to get honest details on the attitude and work ethics of the maid. Also, obtain a written consent from the employer stating that the maid transfer is mutually agreed upon.
- If you are indeed hiring the transfer maid without the help of an agency, you must also secure a work permit and buy insurance for the individual.
Employing a transfer maid is actually easy and hassle-free if all parties involved are trustworthy and all legal documents are obtained.
Did you ever try employing a transfer maid ? How was the entire experience? Tell us all about it by leaving a comment.