Singapore’s education system ensures that every child gets access to primary school education. There are 181 primary schools part of the island’s education system and 41,888 places available. Considering that 37,861 children were born in Singapore in 2015, each child will get a seat in one of the schools.
Primary education is extremely crucial for children and finding the right school is all the more a challenging task for parents. Nevertheless, with a little effort, you can achieve the same and select the right school that meets your child’s needs.
The Singapore Education system follows the ‘Primary 1’ (P1) registration process to enrol every child in a school. Parents need to register for the same. Much like last year, the P1 registration process will happen online this year as well due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This means that parents need to fill the registration process online.
And to make things easier for you, we’ve compiled details about the Primary school registration process for parents for 2021. This will give you a fair understanding of how it works out.
What Is Primary 1 Registration?
Image Source: iStock
It’s the process to register your child for mainstream primary schools in the following year. Primary school education is compulsory for all Singapore citizens and is also applicable to Permanent Residents (PR) and international students.
When Is Your Child Eligible For P1 Registration?
You can register your child in the 2021 P1 registration exercise if they are born between January 2, 2015, and January 1, 2016 (including both dates).
What To Do Before P1 Registration?
Choose the right school
Before applying for the P1 registration process, choose a school for your child that balances their needs and your preferences.
Parents should select a school that is fairly close to where they live so the travelling time is minimal for the child.
Information Needed For Registration
- Full name of the child
- Child’s date of birth
- Birth certificate number of the child
- The home address used for registration
- E-mail address
- Contact details
What parents need to remember:
- Parents have to upload a soft copy of the back of either parents’ NRICs or the court stating the custody arrangement of the child during registration.
- Parents will also need to show the school their child’s immunisation records on reporting day.
- Other documents that parents need to keep handy include their alumni status, which may be required depending on the phase
P1 Registration Phases And Key Dates
The primary school registration process takes place over several phases. This includes:
1. Phase 1
For children with older siblings currently enrolled in the school of their choice. This starts at 9 am on Wednesday (June 30) and will end at 4.30 pm on Thursday (July 1).
2. Phase 2A(1)
For children whose parents who may be alumni or a member of the school’s management committee or advisory board. It opens from 9 am to 4.30 pm on July 7. The results will be out on July 13, 2021.
3. Phase 2(A)(2)
For parents who may be an alumni or have another child who is an alumnus at the school, or are members of staff at the school, or whose children are in the MOE kindergarten located in the chosen primary school.
This opens at 9 am on July 14 and closes at 4.30 pm on July 15, 2021. Results will be declared on July 23.
4. Phase 2B
For parents who may be volunteers at the school, those endorsed by the church or clan that is directly connected to the school and those endorsed as active community leaders. It opens at 9 am on July 26 and closes at 4.30 pm on July 27. Results will be declared on August 2, 2021.
5. Phase 2C
For eligible children who have not yet got a place in a primary school. Opens at 9 am on August 3 and closes at 4.30 pm on August 5, 2021. Results will be declared on August 17, 2021.
6. Phase 2C (Supplementary)
For those who did not register in Phase 2C. It opens at 9 am on August 19 and closes at 4.30 pm on August 20, 2021. The results will be declared onAugust 31, 2021.
The Ministry of Education (MOE) will notify parents of the results via SMS.
4 Things Parents Need To Know About Online P1 Registrayions
Image source: Facebook/Ministry of Education, Singapore
Before you complete the primary school registration process, here are some things you need to keep in mind to ensure everything is smooth sailing:
- Parents should search for primary schools near them using the MOE’s SchoolFinder tool.
- If your child has a special talent or interest, look for schools that will help nurture the same. This also holds true for sports and dramatics. You can check the school’s website or social media handles to learn more about what each of the schools has to offer.
- Several schools are bound to be oversubscribed during the P1 registration process. This will result in balloting. You can check the balloting results from previous years to see how your preferred school faired.
- Parents can register in only one school at any phase. The government does not accept multiple applications.
The primary school experience will shape your child’s academics and holistic growth. So all the best and may your little one find a safe, secure and happy environment wherever they go!
How To Prepare For P1 Registration 2021: A Helpful Guide For Parents
Singapore’s Primary 1 Registration Can Be Made Simpler, Says Yale-NUS Study