Organic Millet and Quinoa Porridge with Sausages and Vegetables
Here is a yummy organic recipe to ease your child’s and family’s transition to organic food choices.
Millet is a nutritionally rich grain often used as a staple carbohydrate in Africa, China, India and Russia. It is high in protein, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and fiber. Incorporate organic millet and other whole grains in the diet to help reduce the risks of diabetes.
Quinoa – complete protein food. It is usually considered a grain but is actually the seed of a plant, which is related to beets, chard and spinach. A native of South America, quinoa is a complete and well-balanced protein food with all the essential amino acids, which makes it very ideal for vegetarians and vegans.
Quinoa is also rich in manganese, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, phosphorous, Vitamin B, Vitamin E and rich in fiber - promotes cardiovascular health and antioxidant protection. It is rich in the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair.
Those with migraine headaches, diabetes, concerned with cancer and post-menopausal women should consume more quinoa. It has more calcium than milk. Quinoa is gluten free, and is a safe alternative for celiac disease and wheat/gluten intolerant individuals.
Ingredients (6-8 servings)
4 pcs USDA-certified Organic Sausages
1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
2 medium USDA Organic Beet (about 300g), peeled and diced
2 medium USDA Organic Carrots (about 250g), peeled and diced
1 cup Cabbage (about 150g), shredded
1 Onion, sliced into half moons
5 cups USDA-Organic Chicken Stock
2 Bay Leaves
½ can USDA Organic Diced Tomato
1 small can USDA Organic Tomato Sauce
1 tsp USDA Organic Unrefined Sugar
½ cup USDA Organic Millet
½ cup USDA Organic Quinoa
Small Handful of Italian Parsley, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Slice sausages and pan-grill over medium heat until cooked. Remove and set aside.
2. In the large pot, sautéed garlic with a little oil.
3. Add beet root, carrot, cabbage, onion and 1 cup of chicken stock and sauté until vegetables are soft.
4. Rinse millet and quinoa over a strainer and drain.
5. Bring the remaining chicken stock, millet and quinoa to a boil with the bay leaf.
6. Add sausages, vegetables, diced tomatoes and tomato puree and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce to a simmer and boil for another 20 minutes.
8. Add chopped Italian parsley and season with sea salt and black pepper.