Influenced by its Chinese, Malay, Indian, Thai and to a lesser extent, colonial, nyonya food and desserts appeal to the taste bud of all our four races. Here are theAsianParent’s take on classic nonya baby full month recipes!
Nonya baby full month recipes are great for festive seasons and for satisfying this little one’s tummy!
Nonya baby full month recipes, number 1: Nasi Kunyit (Turmeric Rice)
This popular rice dish stems from Nonya culture. For the Nonya’s, Nasi Kunyit is part and parcel of baby’s full moon and is also usually cooked during festive occasions like weddings.
What you need
400g glutinous rice
3 pieces dried tamarind skin
1 tsp turmeric powder
500ml coconut water
1/2 tsp white peppercorns
2 pandan leaves, knotted
100ml thick coconut milk
Salt to taste
What you do
1) Wash and soak rice in water mixed with turmeric powder and salt for four hours. Drain well. Soak rice in coconut water for additional two hours.
2) Drain the rice; then place in a steamer with peppercorns and pandan leaves and steam for 15 minutes.
3) Remove the steamer and add 1/3 of the coconut milk to the rice. Mix well. Steam for 15 minutes. Fluff up the rice, add another 1/3 of thick coconut milk; steam for 15 minutes again. Remove from heat.
4) Add salt to the last 1/3 portion of the coconut milk. Stir and add to the rice. Steam for five minutes.
5) Remove rice from steamer and set aside to cool before serving with curry chicken.
Nonya baby full month recipes, number 2: Kari Ayam (Curry Chicken)
Much like the curry chicken dish of from Indonesia and Malaysia, this dish illustrates the fastidious elaboration of spices employed in Nyonya cooking. Here’s an alternative recipe if you don’t have the spices at hand.
What You Need
1 chicken (about 600g), cut into bite-size pieces
300g potatoes, parboiled and cut into halves
2 cups santan (coconut milk)
1/2 cup pati santan (coconut milk extracted without adding water)
3-4 tbsp chilli boh (grinded chilli with salt)
3 tbsp ketumbar powder (coriander powder)
1/2 tsp of:
- jintan manis powder fennel powder)
- jintan putih powder (cumin powder)
- turmeric powder
1 cube belacan, toasted and pounded (shrimp paste)
2 stalks serai, smashed (lemon grass)
1 sprig / piece of:
- curry leaves
- kayu manis, about 3cm (cinammon)
- star anise
salt and sugar to taste
2 buah keras (candle nut)
5 cloves garlic
What you do
1) Heat a pot with four tablespoons oil. Saute the pounded ingredients, serai and curry leaves. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir. Mix in two tablespoons santan and blend.
2) Add in the chicken pieces. Pour in half a cup of santan and stir. Bring to a boil. Add in the rest of the santan and simmer till the chicken is cooked. Then, add the potatoes, pati santan and blend. Bring to a boil gently. Add seasoning.
3) Close the lid for a while to allow the oil to rise to the top. Remove from the heat. Serve with Nasi Kunyit.
Do you have other tried-and-tested baby-full month recipes? Share your recipes in our forum.