My labour story during my 2nd baby's time.

My labour story during my 2nd baby's time.

Aruna Mascarenhas shares her labour story with

My 2nd baby's time came in late January. He was born in Singapore at Thomson Medical Center, I had been for my checkup on the 22nd of January 2008 and I was quite healthy and active. The doctor said she needed to check my cervix if it was open since I was due on the 1st of February. When she checked me, she said the cervix had already opened wide and that I needed to set a date so that she could induce me and I could deliver my baby.

So Terry and I decided that the baby would come on 24th of January. So early that morning we set out by cab and reached the hospital by 8.30a.m. I was taken in at once and was made ready for my delivery. My doctor Adelina Wong came in by 9.15a.m and the inducing process began. The mid-wife suggested I use the laughing gas since it would ease the pain during labour. After the inducing began, I started getting contractions off and on and the laughing gas did help alot although it made me feel nauseous and I kept vomiting and feeling uneasy.

Finally, I told the mid-wife that I had the urge to pass stools and I needed to go the toilet immediately. She said it was okay if I passed motion on the delivery table. She then checked me and called the doctor immediately and told I should call Terry in, who was with our elder son in the waiting area. The doctor was quite surprised that I was going to deliver so quickly. She advised me to use the gas and push with all my might. I tried so much but the baby just would not come.

I kept trying and trying and was almost going to give up on the pushing when the doctor said "Aruna, be a good girl and try once again and push as hard as you can." So, I tried once again and screamed and pushed and the head came out and I stopped pushing again as I was so tired.

I started to go off to sleep. The mid wife woke me up and said the baby's head is out and I give one last push, then I could go back to sleep. So again I pushed and to my good luck, the baby was out. Our 2nd bundle of joy - a baby boy was born at 13.12hrs and weighed 3.100gms and the nurse told us the baby's head was quite big - 35cm. That's why it took time to come out. My labour pains lasted for about 20mins and it was not bad at all.

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by

Tiffany Yip

app info
get app banner