Extra Crispy KFC-style Chicken Recipe to Prepare and Enjoy at Home
A tried, tested and approved KFC recipe with easily available ingredients.
Missing taking a bite into a juicy KFC chicken during the lockdown but don’t wanna indulge in fast food? This recently revealed recipe of the original Kentucky Fried Chicken will come to your rescue.
KFC Fried Chicken Recipe Extra Crispy: Recreate This at Home
Most of us have grown up on that inviting crunch and flavour of KFC which pulls us back to the nearest joint again and again. Now the COVID-19 safety measures have made it mandatory to close down many outlets. That does not mean you can’t satisfy your cravings. Here is a tried, tested and approved KFC recipe with easily available ingredients. Try this during these stay-in times and you can please your taste buds whether there is any KFC outlet around or not.
Is It the Secret KFC Recipe?
Colonel Sanders has always claimed that the original KFC recipe cannot be duplicated because it has a secret blend of 11 herbs and spices. Also, a certified cook marinates and breads the chicken by hand every day. A recent revelation of the original recipe by his nephew to a reporter has brought fresh hopes to KFC lovers.
Since the original recipe uses monosodium glutamate (MSG), home cooks may choose to leave that out. Also, the pressure fryer used in KFC joints may not be available to you. So, a few improvisations will be needed to keep the taste and flavour as close to the original as possible.
KFC Recipe to Prepare at Home
This is the closest one can get to the authentic KFC recipe assuming that the original recipe is still a secret.
Things you will need:
- Deep fryer
- Pair of tongs or flipper
- One big bowl
- One/two plates
- Kitchen towels/metal rack
Ingredients you will need for a serving of 6 pieces:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 pieces of chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Lard (as much needed for deep frying)
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning or MSG (optional)
- 1 cup cornflakes (optional)
Steps to prepare homemade KFC:
- Collect all the ingredients as per quantity and measurements.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk. Marinate the chicken pieces in this mixture.
- Put the thyme, sage, basil, marjoram and oregano in a grinder jar and give a quick whizz.
- Take the all-purpose flour in a plate and mix the herbs, spices and seasonings with it.
- Pick the pieces of marinated chicken and roll them in the spiced flour. Let them sit in the flour.
- In another plate spread the cornflakes. Crush them lightly.
- Dip the floured chicken pieces in egg mix again. Now, roll them on the crushed cornflakes.
- Heat the lard in your fryer up to 350 to 360 degrees.
- Carefully drop the breaded chicken into the fat one by one. Let fry for 15 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove on to paper towel or metal rack and let drain.
- Serve hot.
Added Tips on the KFC Recipe
To experiment and play with the flavours, these suggestions might come handy.
You may add 1 teaspoon powdered ginger for a sweet rounded flavour. You can also include celery salt in place of normal salt.
Make sure that the chicken pieces are completely submerged in oil while frying.
You can use shortening such as Crisco in place of lard to add to the crispiness. Also, a double-coat on your chicken helps get that thick crispy layer.
Cornflakes add the crunch that KFC zinger is so famous for. Make sure that your chicken is evenly and completely coated.
If you take chicken on bones, in place of chicken breasts, you may skip the cornflakes cover over the flour, if you please.
Make an easy KFC gravy to serve with the fried chicken.
Recipe for KFC-style Gravy
This is, surprisingly, the easiest recipe if the ingredients are available. It can even be a last-minute addition to your meal.
Ingredients for the gravy:
- 2/3 stock cubes of chicken/beef
- Half a cup of flour
- Half cup or 2 tablespoons of butter
- Onion/garlic powder for flavour
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups of hot water
Method to prepare gravy:
- Dissolve the stock cubes in hot water.
- Melt butter in a pan and sauté the flour.
- Pour the stock mixture slowly while whisking continuously.
- Cook for a minute and a half.
- Adjust thickness and salt.
- Add onion or garlic powder according to preference.
Serve your crispy fried chicken within two pieces of bun to get that original touch. Or have it as a plate full of a savoury treat. Let the delectable gravy accompany in both cases.