As parents, we tell our children that washing their hands properly is extremely important to remove dirt and germs, prevent illnesses and maintain good hygiene. But how sure are we that we ourselves are doing it right? Here is a step-by-step guide to show you how to wash your hands effectively.
Washing our hands correctly can help prevent the spread of germs. Make sure you’re doing it right!
1) Roll up sleeves and remove all jewellery.
2) If you are unable to remove you wedding ring, wash and dry thoroughly around and under it.
3) Use running warm water; wet your hands and dispense one squirt of the recommended liquid soap into the palm of the hand.
4) Hold hands down below the elbow height to prevent water running onto forearms.
5) Rub hands together vigorously to lather, paying particular attention to thumbs, nails, finger tips and finger webs.
6) Rinse well to remove all traces of soap.
7) Turn off water faucet using elbows, then dry hands thoroughly on a paper towel; If that feels uncomfortable, then first dry hands thoroughly, and turn off the tap using a paper towel.
8) Dispose of towels into the bin; do not contaminate your hands by touching the bin lid.
What type of soap should be used?
Any type of plain soap may be used. However, bar soap should be kept in a self draining holder that is cleaned thoroughly before new bars are put out. Liquid soap containers should be used until empty and then disposed of.
Remember, Clean Hands Save Lives!