Gov't Dispels Rumours That Singapore Will Go Into Lockdown and DORSCON Red As Messages Circulate Online
The Singapore government said the DORSCON Red rumour, as well as speculations that Singapore is going into lockdown, are all untrue.
The Singapore government on Thursday (26 March) alerted the public that the messages circulating online that the Disease Outbreak Response System Condition (DORSCON) alert level will be raised to red, that Singapore will go into lockdown, and transport systems will be halted are untrue.
This was announced via a WhatsApp message by Gov.sg.
“These are all untrue. Please do not spread unverified information,” the Government message read. The message also urged people to check official sources or sign up to the Gov.sg WhatsApp for updates on COVID-19.
Singapore “Not Going Into Dorscon Red.” PM Lee in Recent Address
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in an address to the public on 12 March has previously said that Singapore is not going to DORSCON Red.
“We are not going to DORSCON Red. We are not locking down our city like the Chinese, South Koreans or Italians have done. What we are doing now is to plan ahead for some of these more stringent measures, try them out, and prepare Singaporeans for when we actually need to implement them,” Mr Lee said.
Singapore upped its DORSCON level from yellow to orange on Friday, 7 February.
Several enhanced precautionary measures have been introduced since the public address including tighter border controls, and additional safety distancing measures in public space, entertainment venues, as well as in schools.
As of 25 March, there are a total of 631 COVID-19 cases in Singapore as 73 new cases were confirmed.
A total of 160 patients have fully recovered from COVID-19 and been discharged from hospital. Among the 404 patients still in hospital, most are stable or improving while 17 are in critical condition in the intensive care unit.