2-year-old girl dies after being stung by hornets

2-year-old girl dies after being stung by hornets

A 2-year-old girl died recently after getting stung by as many as 30 hornets near her house...

A 2-year-old girl in Malaysia died after getting stung by as many as 30 hornets near her house. The incident happened on 16 August, in Kampung Lay Out Tok Has.

Girl dies after being stung by hornets

According to the New Straits Times, the tragedy occurred when Puteri Nur Aisya Azahar was playing alone at an empty food stall near her house.

Her father Ismail Mat Ali, who was napping, was alerted to her cries for help, and rushed to her aid, only to find her unconscious.

The toddler's mother Rubiyah Ismail has been quoted by New Straits Times as saying, "Nur Aisya’s father saw her being stung by hornets all over her body and tried to rescue, but she was already stung some 10 times."

Little Nur Aisya was rushed to the Besut Hospital, and transferred later to the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital, but sadly did not survive.

Rubiyah said, "My daughter's condition become critical at 4 am today as her kidney failed."

Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family of this little girl...

Handling hornet or wasp stings in children

Hornets are the largest of the eusocial wasps, and they aggressively guard their nesting sites when threatened. Hornet stings are more painful to humans than typical wasp stings because hornet venom contains a large amount of acetylcholine. People who are allergic to wasp venom are also allergic to hornet stings.

Wasps are more aggressive than bees, with the ability to sting more than once. The stinger on a wasp is smooth and won’t stay in the skin, whereas a bee will leave behind its venom sac attached to a barbed stinger.

In the event of a wasp sting:

  • Wash the area carefully with soap and warm water. Do this 2-3 times a day until the skin is healed.
  • Apply an ice pack wrapped in a cloth or a cold, wet washcloth for a few minutes.
  • Pain relief medications like Panadol may be given if necessary to ease the pain.
  • If your doctor has given the go-ahead, taking an antihistamine might help with itching and swelling.
  • A sting anywhere in the mouth needs immediate medical attention because this can quickly cause severe swelling that may block the airways.
  • Get medical care if you notice fever, or the bite/sting looks infected after a few days.
  • The following signs may indicate a serious or potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Call 995 or rush to hospital emergency if you notice:
  1. wheezing or trouble breathing
  2. tightness in throat or chest
  3. swelling of the lips, tongue, or face
  4. dizziness or fainting
  5. nausea or vomiting

Also READ: All about treating insect bites and stings in children

(Source: New Straits Times, KidsHealth, Image : New Straits Times)

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Any views or opinions expressed in this article are personal and belong solely to the author; and do not represent those of theAsianparent or its clients.

Written by


app info
get app banner