"Don't take food into indoor playgrounds": Mum's warning after son's anaphylactic reaction

lead image

"Please if you go to soft play with your child, listen to the signs and don’t let your child take food in there!”

A mum has warned about the dangers of taking food into indoor play areas after her son suffered a severe allergic reaction. Posting food allergy rash pictures, she pleads, "Please if you go to soft play with your child, listen to the signs and don’t let your child take food in there!”

Mum posts food allergy rash pictures of son after indoor playground ordeal

Mummy Mia Williams shared her ordeal on Facebook recently (the post has since then been taken down).

She hopes that in future, parents will pay heed to the "No food" signs in indoor playgrounds, so no other child will have to suffer a life-threatening allergic reaction.

“Writing this post to raise awareness! Please if you go to soft play with your child listen to the signs and don’t let your child take food in there!”

“The signs are there for a reason", wrote Mia.

She also posted these food allergy rash pictures of her son, Elijah, who is extremely allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts.

food allergy rash pictures

“This was my son today, he’s anaphylactic to milk, eggs and peanuts and someone not listening to the signs could have killed him if I didn’t notice fast enough.”

"If this even shows one person how bad cross contamination can be it’s worth it to help another allergy baby!"

"Been informed by someone there’s currently no law regarding the cleaning of balls in a soft play – shocking!!"

We hope Elijah has recovered now...

In July 2017, 3-year-old Marcus was travelling with his parents on Singapore Airlines flight SQ 217 from Singapore to Melbourne, when he had a severe allergic reaction to peanuts, mid-flight. Strangely, the toddler hadn't eaten any peanuts.

Apparently, mist and smell from the nuts filled the cabin when many different packets of peanuts were opened all at once!

In another shocking incident, on 1 Jan 2019, a 11-year-old boy died in an apparent allergic reaction to the smell of fish cooking.

Food allergy in children

Children are most commonly allergic to these foods:

  • milk
  • eggs
  • peanuts
  • soy
  • wheat
  • tree nuts (such as walnuts and cashews)
  • fish
  • shellfish (such as shrimp)

Food allergy reactions can affect any of the four following areas of the body:

  • Skin: itchy red bumps (hives), eczema, redness and swelling of the face or extremities, itching and swelling of the lips, tongue, or mouth 
  • Gastrointestinal tract: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhoea
  • Respiratory tract: runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath
  • Cardiovascular system: lightheadedness or fainting

When allergies get severe

If your child has allergies (especially to insect stings, food, or certain medicine), it is important to know that sometimes, the child can have a more severe allergic reaction.

She may be wheezing and have breathing difficulties. Her blood pressure can drop, breathing tubes can narrow, and the tongue can swell.

This is known as anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and is sudden and life-threatening. 

The most common signs that someone might have anaphylaxis after exposure to an allergen are:

  • trouble breathing
  • throat tightness or feeling like the throat or airways are closing
  • hoarseness or trouble speaking
  • wheezing
  • nasal stuffiness or coughing
  • nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting
  • fast heartbeat or pulse
  • skin itching, tingling, redness, or swelling

Please note that, anaphylaxis requires immediate medical attention. It can get worse very quickly.

Also READ: Singapore mum warns about drowning dangers at suspended ball pit

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by


app info
get app banner