Learn to cook Indian rasam soup
‘Rasam’ is a soup that is very popular in South India and is prepared with tamarind or tomatoes and some specific spices with medicinal properties. In some rasams, lentils are added. It is best taken hot as soup or with rice which is good for an upset stomach.
This soup is a perfect remedy for flu, or cold and is welcomed on any cold or rainy day. It is especially good for sore throats, fever and cold.
The most prominent ingredients of “Rasam” are the combination of black pepper and cumin seeds. Pepper plays a very important role. It not only stimulates the taste buds, but also improves digestion, prevents intestinal gas, and has antioxidant and antibacterial effects. The outer layer of peppercorns stimulates the breakdown of fat cells, keeping us slim and at the same time supply us with energy.
If you have a nasty flu, make sure you take this soup. It will definitely help clear it up.
Ingredients for Rasam:
250 gms tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 green chillies, chopped
1 lemon-sized ball of tamarind
1 tbsp jaggery
1 tsp mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
1 red chilli, broken into two
1 tsp coriander seeds roasted & powdered
1 tsp cuminseeds roasted & powdered
2 tsps peppercorns roasted & powdered
3 tbsps oil
- Extract the pulp of tamarind by soaking it in a cup of hot water.
- Boil the tomatoes, chillies and garlic in 4 cups of water.
- Add the ground spices, jaggery and tamarind pulp and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil.
- Splutter the mustard seeds in the oil.
- Add the curry leaves, red chilli, asafoetida powder and onion and fry for a minute.
- Pour it over the soup mixture.
- Serve hot.
Other easy to cook menus:
1. Steamed Herbal Chicken
2. Corn Soup
3 Chicken Quesadillas
7. Pour it over the tomatoes.
8. Serve hot.