Dry ice explosion injures young boy in Singapore

Dry ice explosion injures young boy in Singapore

10-year-old boy was warded in hospital after suffering a sudden explosion involving dry ice.

Sources have reported that on Monday (26 October), a 10-year-old boy was warded in hospital after suffering a sudden explosion involving dry ice at Block 297C, Choa Chu Kang Avenue 2.

Chinese evening daily Shin Min Daily News reported that the boy, together with a few of his schoolmates, bought the dry ice from an ice-cream vendor after classes had ended at around 1.30pm.

The block of dry ice was placed within a bottle and the children proceeded to take turns shaking it. The bottle later exploded, causing injuries to the boy who was holding the bottle at that point in time.

The explosion could be heard by residents on the 9th floor. A resident told Shin Min that she then rushed down to investigate as her son was at the void deck.

"My son was riding his bicycle at the void deck," Ms Seah, 38, explained.

"But when I was there, I saw a pale-looking boy with injuries to his hands. His friends were at a lost and they later left the scene hurriedly."

Logistician, Mr Huang (aged 46), later came to the aid of the boy, whose hands were bleeding from the explosion, Shin Min evening daily reported.

"The passerby brought my son to a clinic which was closed, so the Samaritan then called for an ambulance. The man even accompanied my son to the National University Hospital, and later informed my family of the incident,"he added.

"We are very grateful and would like to reward him for his kindness."

Mr Huang slammed the ice-cream vendor for selling them the dry ice, although he was not angry with his son and his friends due to their mischievous behaviour.

"The vendor should not have sold such dangerous products to primary school kids. I have informed the National Environment Agency of the incident, and I hope to get an answer," Mr Huang said.

Mr Lim, the ice-cream vendor explained that his decision to sell dry ice was because there were situations in the past where students had asked him to sell dry ice for their school projects.

He told Shin Min that he obliged after reminding them to handle the dry ice with gloves.

Expressing his regrets, Mr Lim, 45, recounted the incident:

"The boy asked me for $1 worth of dry ice. "Little did I know that the boy would place it within a bottle. If I'd known earlier, I wouldn't sell it to him."

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by


app info
get app banner