COVID-19: 2 Children, Aged 5 and 7 among 65 New Cases of Coronavirus in Singapore
Both children tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday (2 April) and have been warded in KK Women's and Children's Hospital.
Two children, aged 5 and 7, are among the 65 new cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore reported on Friday (3 April).
The children, both male Singapore citizens, appear to come from the same family as they are both close contacts of previously reported cases involving one 52-year-old male Singapore citizen (Case 832) and one 39-year-old female Singapore citizen (Case 872). Both kids, including the two adults, are imported cases with recent travel history from the United Arab Emirates.
Both children tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday (2 April) and have been warded in KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
65 new cases of coronavirus in Singapore
The Ministry of Health (MOH) announced 65 new cases of COVID-19 in Singapore bringing the total number of cases here to 1,114.
MOH also announced three new clusters: Ce La Vi at Marina Bay Sands to which four cases are linked, Singapore Cricket Club which is linked to six cases, and a construction site at Project Glory at 50 Market Street which has four confirmed cases.
According to MOH, 40 of the new cases are linked to clusters and previous cases, while 9 are imported. The agency said contact tracing is ongoing for the other 16 cases that are currently unlinked.
Another 21 COVID-19 patients have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities, bring the total recovered patients to 266.
MOH said the condition of most of the 464 patients still in hospital is stable or improving, but 23 are in critical condition in the intensive care unit.
Meanwhile, 315 patients who are clinically well but still test positive for the virus infection have been isolated and cared for at Concord International Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital and the Community Isolation Facility at D’Resort NTUC.
Tightened Safe-distancing Measures
Amid concerns over escalating COVID-19 infections in Singapore, the government has ordered school closures in Singapore and shift to full home-based learning beginning next week on Wednesday (8 April).
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong during his message on the COVID-19 situation said that based on the current trend of rising coronavirus cases in Singapore, the government has decided that “that instead of tightening incrementally over the next few weeks, we should make a decisive move now, to pre-empt escalating infections.”
“We will, therefore, impose significantly stricter measures. This is like a circuit breaker,” Mr Lee said.
The measures include schools moving to full home-based learning for about a month, until 4 May.
One day of home-based learning in Singapore schools was implemented on Wednesday (1 April), which the Prime Minister said had “gone smoothly, with teething issues being resolved.”
All preschools, MOE Kindergartens and student care centres, including special student care centres, will suspend their general services during this period. Private education institutions should move to home-based learning, or suspend classes otherwise.
In a press release, the Ministry of Education (MOE) said it will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation to assess if these measures need to be prolonged.