Children trapped in bedroom during fire: PMD safety reminder

Children trapped in bedroom during fire: PMD safety reminder

The kids were taken to hospital for treatment of burn injuries.

In a raging fire that broke out yesterday (Saturday June 9) in a Canberra Street flat, two children trapped in bedroom had to be rescued by Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) personnel.

Children Trapped in Bedroom as Fire Blazes Around Them

In a Facebook post, the SCDF explains it responded to the fire at #14-557 of block 104D Canberra Street around 4pm. 

When they got to the scene, the lifts were not working. So, with their air cylinders, the firefighters had to haul their rescue equipment up the stairs to the blazing unit. 

When they got there, they found the living room of the flat completely engulfed in flames. After extinguishing the fire, two little boys who had been trapped in a bedroom were rescued. They were brought to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital for burn injuries.

Three adults who also sustained injuries in the fire were sent to Singapore General Hospital and Khoo Teck Puat Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

What Caused the Fire? 

According to the SCDF, they believe the blaze was caused by the battery pack of a Personal Mobility Device (PMD) that was found in the unit.. 

They'd like to remind all Singaporeans of the following safety tips when charging and using PMDs: 

  • Avoid overcharging the battery, especially leaving it to charge overnight. 
  • When charging these batteries, place them on flat, hard surfaces so the heat spreads evenly. 
  • Do not place the charging batteries near combustible materials. 


Also read: Singapore baby suffers burns in fire, parents share their ordeal

Source: Channel NewsAsia 

Featured image: SCDF Facebook page 


Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

app info
get app banner