While fun and games are great to engage kids, STEAM activities are a wonderful method to boost their brain development. As the week-long holidays inch closer, you can utilise them to not just spend quality time with your kids, but also help them learn something new in the process.
So how do you begin? Well, let us take you through it step-by-step.
One of the ways to introduce STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) is through an exciting boredom buster activity plan. The primary aim of this plan is to make learning fun and also improve concentration.
In fact, they are a testament to the fact that creative learning experience can have an extremely therapeutic effect, which is why we recommend you try them out with your kids.
What Is A Boredom Buster Activity Plan?
Boredom Buster activities to help your kids stay busy (Image Credits: Pixabay)
How often do you hear your kids complain-“Oh, I am bored”? Frequently, right? For next time, try boredom busting activity plans to keep them engaged.
These activities can be DIY projects, indoor activities, educational activities, or science experiments that basically help tickle your kid’s brain. The best part about boredom buster activity is that they are absolutely easy to do and uses supplies that you already have in hand.
They can be quite useful for younger kids since it’s hard to find content that is appropriate for their age and grade level. Plus, the challenge with this age group is that they get disinterested if something doesn’t grab their attention right away.
This is where STEAM activities come into play.
What Is STEAM Learning?
Kids can play with wooden toys to help them stimulate their brain (Photo Courtesy: Pixabay)
STEAM is an educational approach to learning that uses science, technology, engineering, art and math. This is used as access point for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking.
Preschools and other child care providers try often nurture STEAM skills and concepts among kids early on to help them develop a sound foundation. Kids can grasp better when engaging with STEAM concepts. Plus, it also helps that STEAM activities encourage students to think critically and solve problems.
Now that you know a bit about the concept, here’s how you can integrate STEAM-based learning in your boredom buster activity plan:
- STEAM concepts arise in our everyday life and so you can point that out to your child. Talk about how the seasons change while taking a stroll in the garden or how birds chirp and so on.
- Asking questions is a great way to encourage foundational STEAM skills. Show your kid a book and ask questions regarding the images.
- Engage the kids with the help of books, discussions, experiments, art projects, and educational games.
- Most importantly, encourage your child to think.
Keeping these in mind, you can now plan your boredom buster activity.
- Pick a time in the day that the kids need a boredom buster the most. It can be after lunch, dinner, or when you are working.
- Get a tray and lay out the project supplies and cover it till you’re ready. This will also create excitement in your kids and they’ll have something to look forward to.
Now to the actual activity.
6 STEAM-based Boredom Busting Activities For Your Kids
Puzzle games are used as a boredom buster (Photo Courtesy: Pixabay)
Listed below are some boredom buster activity plans to keep your kids engaged these holidays.
- Pool Noodle Periscope: You and your kids can build a periscope out of pool noodles and then ask your kids to explore all the corners. This activity helps kids explore reflections and also learn a bit about math, measurements as well as angles.
- DIY friendship bracelets: You can ask the kids to make DIY friendship bracelets right from scratch. They can either use beads, or papier-mâché, corn flakes, and even uncooked paste. This activities helps them develop hand-eye coordination and of course, lets their creativity loose.
- Craft Stick Launchers: This is a fun project which kids can build and slingshot and then start launching Q-Tips. This type of activity helps them work on their concentration and focus skills.
- Bottle Rocket Challenge: You need to give your kids a bottle of vinegar, baking soda and then see what happens. It is just like the soft drink and antacid challenge and helps kids understand the scientific basis of chemicals and reactions. We don’t recommend leaving the kids to do this challenge by themselves as it can be dangerous. Its best if you or a guardian is around to show them how it’s done.
- Egg Drop Challenge: This is a rather fun challenge that stimulates the brain. Ask your kids to use what they can: craft resources, newspaper, cloth et all; to ensure an egg doesn’t crack when it hits the ground. Entertainment and learning, both at the same time.
- Tire Ninja Course: You can get old tires and build a fun obstacle challenge for your kids. You can either line them up or keep them at a distance and have your kid hope over and out of it. This challenge is more physical and helps develop better cognitive and motors skills. Do remember to try this with kids who are older than 4 years to avoid any injuries. But just as a precautionary measure, keep a close watch at all times.
Boredom busting activities based on STEAM learning can provide a great learning experience for young kids. Use the opportunity to help your child pick up a new skill and learn the basics of these important subjects. These are sure to nurture their critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
STEM is old news, have you heard of STEAM Learning?
9 Easy Arts And Crafts DIY You Can Enjoy With Your Kids