Terrible accident in Singapore, baby pulled out of car
A terrible multi-vehicle accident took place in Singapore last night (7 August), at Woodlands...
A terrible multi-vehicle accident took place in Singapore last night (7 August), at Woodlands. A motorcyclist died, and 4 other people, including a 1-year-old baby, were taken to hospital.
Video footage of the incident shows a car flipping over a road divider onto the opposite lane at the junction of Woodlands Avenue 12 and Woodlands Avenue 1. One motorcyclist got knocked into the path of a lorry and another motorcyclist rammed into the overturned car and fell over.
According to Channel NewsAsia, a male motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. The driver of the flipped car, his wife, and another male motorcyclist were taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. A 1-year-old baby was pulled out from the car and rushed to KK Women's and Children's Hospital.
Police are currently investigating the incident.
We offer our sincere condolences to the victim's family, and hope that the injured get well real soon.
This is the video of the tragedy, and it's scary how it takes only a moment to change things:
As we get ready to celebrate Singapore's National Day, may we remind all road users (be it drivers, passengers or pedestrians) to be responsible not only for your own safety, but for others as well. Here are some must-remember road safety tips:
- Never drink and drive : If you do plan to drink and make merry, make sure you don't drive. There are drive-home valet services you can hire or opt for a cab instead.
- Always buckle up : Not just the driver, but every passenger in the car should be wearing their seat belts. Young children in particular, should be buckled into appropriate safety seats.
- Keep to the speed limit : Driving too fast or too slow can be a potential hazard. Remember to keep a safe following distance, this will give you enough time to react in case of an emergency.
- Keep that cell phone away : Fight the urge to check your messages even if the traffic light is red. There is nothing more distracting than the smart phone and most accidents occur due to driver distraction.
- Watch out for jaywalkers and cyclists : Especially at night, when the visibility is low. And do watch out for that cycle that comes hurtling in from nowhere.
- Make way for ambulances: In an emergency, every second counts. When you hear the siren, do make way and change lanes safely to the left.
- Pull Up if You Feel Tired: Please don’t try to drive when your eyes are shutting; you could kill yourself or others if you fall asleep. Take turns to drive if there is another licensed person in the vehicle. Stop regularly to take breaks.
- Checklist - fuel, lights, brakes, tyres, wipers : Lastly, before setting out on your journey make sure that each of these items on the checklist gets a check.
(Source: Channel NewsAsia)