Does your child’s refusal to wash hair make you want to pull out your own hair? Don’t go bald just yet! Hair washing doesn’t have to be a constant struggle if you know how to trick your child to wash hair. Apart from using a no-tear formula shampoo, employ this enjoyable bag of tricks every time during the hair washing routine, and your child will be shampooing in no time without a single fuss!
Hair washing tricks
- Use a washcloth – Instead of pouring water directly on your child’s head, it is best to use a wet washcloth with shampoo. Rub the foamy washcloth all over your child’s hair to get the grime out.
- Shampoo fun – Let your child choose a shampoo that features a favourite cartoon character or scent. If your kiddo likes what you use to wash their hair, it will surely be a no-fuss hair washing kind of day.
- Be independent – Sometimes children don’t like to have their hair washed but they may agree to washing their own hair. Try this method with your child and it might just work.
- Cut back on hair washes – Frequent hair washing isn’t really necessary for children. This is because shampoos can dry the hair and scalp. Wash hair every other day or thrice a week depending on your child’s weekly activities.
- Use the sink – Instead of washing hair in the tub or shower, use the sink to trick your child to wash hair. Let your child lean back into the sink and wash hair gently. Put a towel on the forehead and on the neck to stop trickling water.
- Put on goggles – Some kids don’t like their hair to be washed because they don’t like water or shampoo to get in their eyes. Trick your child to wash hair by allowing use of goggles in the bathroom. With the goggles, there will be no sting from water or the shampoo.
- Squirt/Splash it up – Use a spray bottle, water gun or a water bottle to wet your child’s hair the fun way. Once the hair is wet, immediately apply shampoo and rinse immediately while still distracted.
- Take it outside – Got a large backyard? Use a hose or garden sprinklers to trick your child to wash hair. While still having fun, apply a bit of shampoo before your child realizes what you are doing.
- Visor on – To trick your child to wash hair, put on visor on his/her head. This shower visor is made of plastic and prevents water from flowing directly to the head and eyes of your child. With this on, your kid won’t realize what you are doing.
- Do it together – Trick your child to wash hair by getting into the shower or tub too. Make shapes with your hair and encourage your child to do the same.
What is your favourite way to trick your child to wash hair? We’d love to hear about your experience.IN Bigger Kid, How to's | June 15, 2013