Men who want to settle down often ask “What makes a good wife?” or “What qualities should I look for in my future bride?”
They may not always voice out their opinion but men do contemplate these things. Times have changed and most wives nowadays don’t just sit back and listen to controlling husbands.
Before starting a relationship with the intention of marriage, men need to consider what their partner expects. A union between people goes both ways. Husbands should not dominate their wives and vice versa.
As you consider settling down, people expect different qualities from soon-to-be wives. Once you say “I do,” you need to learn to share a life with your beloved. To help future grooms and brides, we came up with a list of qualities that most men want.
What Men Want In A Good Wife
As far as being a good wife goes, how does he think you are fair?
When it comes to getting down to the nitty-gritty on what men want and need in a partner, the following list of things is considered the essentials for a healthy marriage and what men consider a ‘good wife’ to be:
- Maintain respectfulness at all times. Husbands and wives need to work on this to avoid misunderstandings. Despite being in a marriage, you are different people. If you keep this in mind, you help each other understand your differences.
- In a husband’s eyes, the best wife is one that contentedly lives within their means. To do so affirms to them that they are fulfilling their role as head of the house. Don’t laugh–no matter how progressive you are. There is an inherent need in a man to feel this way.
- Wives raise their children with their husbands–not against him.
- As a good wife, you need to mind your negative rants about your spouse. With this entry, we suggest you seek help from a marriage counsellor.
- When filled with rage, mothers must think twice before saying hurtful words about their husbands in front of their kids.
- A good spouse shouldn’t try to change her husband into her vision of a “perfect man.”
- Wives also don’t need to fit into their husband’s view of a “perfect woman.” Learn to accept each other’s flaws to strengthen your relationship.
- Despite your busy schedule, we urge both of you to set aside time for each other. Some days that time may be shorter than others, but make sure there is always time for just the two of you.
- If you want your husband to listen to you, you also need to hear what he has to say. You may not always see eye to eye but it’s better to establish communication above all else.
Image Source: iStock
- A good partner lets her husband know she is sexually attracted to him. No, men aren’t quite as insecure as we women are about ageing and looks, but they do think about it just the same. And although it should go without saying, this includes being faithful in the marriage.
- Work together to build a happy marriage and family. No matter how modern and progressive you think your family is (or should be), the position of wife and mother comes with certain responsibilities.
- Remind yourself and your husband to prioritise your family over everything else. This includes putting your marriage first over disagreements with in-laws.
- A good wife tells her husband that she loves and appreciates him every single day.
- Consider your husband as your best friend. With this, you remind yourself to stay loyal and avoid any possibility of cheating on your spouse.
- Remember to bring out each other’s best potential. Boost each other’s confidence when it comes to your career and raising your family. This builds a stronger bond between you and your spouse.
Here is where understanding each other’s wants, needs and expectations take centre stage. Ultimately, a good wife begets a good husband and vice versa. Additionally, we always urge you to remember to stay loyal and true to each other, no matter what.
5 Tips on Creating Your List of What Makes a Good Wife
When it comes to crafting your list of what makes a good wife, you need to consider the future of your marriage. We urge you to imagine a long life with your bride-to-be. Below are 5 tips we came up with in your search for a good wife:
- Determine if you want to start a family. Without this, your marriage might not work. Both of you deserve to know if you want to adopt or raise your own kids. You need to know if you both want to enjoy being newlyweds or start a family instantly.
- Don’t imagine getting married only to end it in a divorce. When crafting your list, we discourage you from considering the possibility of splitting up. This helps you make a list that won’t offend your spouse.
Image Source: iStock
- Build a strong friendship to assess if you see a future with them. This step helps you bond and learn each other’s qualities. In doing this, you allow yourself to build a stronger relationship before tying the knot.
- Learn to solve problems together to see how well you fit with each other. Once you’re married, you’ll both face unexpected challenges. When you learn to work together, you can envision if your marriage can last.
- Once you consider your relationship as serious, practise effective communication. This step is essential if you want a long marriage. You can’t always expect to guess what your future spouse is feeling.
By following the mentioned pointers, you slowly discover what you want to see in your marriage. Additionally, keeping these tips in mind helps you make sure you want to spend the rest of your life with your significant other.
Should You Grade the Qualities of What Makes a Good Wife?
If your marriage is healthy and happy, your answers will most likely be in sync. At least, that’s where it should be. However, how would you feel about being graded?
Well, the Good Wifey from TikTok might knock you down a peg. Her clip jokes about her husband expecting her to cook a five-course meal. Her hilarious video garnered 1.9 million likes and 18.6K comments.
As you watch the video, it makes you realise how women changed. Most wives won’t allow any form of misogyny from their spouses.
For wives, the reasons why you and your husband think you’re ‘Wonder Wife’ are likely different–different, that is unless you know what men think a great spouse is.
Remember that every relationship is different. Consequently, what your spouse may anticipate from you is likely different from another husband.
Meanwhile, our list is meant to encourage married couples to support each other. We don’t intend to make wives feel differently about their actions. Your husband chose to be with you for a reason.
Moreover, crafting lists of what makes a good wife doesn’t always go accordingly. These entries adjust over time. As you and your spouse learn about each other, the list is subject to adjustments. Plus, remember to consider that you will be growing old with your spouse.
This article was updated by Kaira De la Rosa.