Vicious viruses lurking inside a shopping cart puts baby in ICU
A 10-month-old boy contracted both a salmonella and a meningitis infection after her mother put her inside a shopping cart.
Who knew that a routine trip to the supermarket would put a 10-month-old baby’s life at risk?
Nothing out of the ordinary
Vivienne Wardrop, 35, took her little boy shopping and put her baby inside one of the shopping carts that were available in the store. For most mothers, putting their kids inside a shopping cart is nothing out of the ordinary, and they don’t usually think twice about doing it.
For Ms. Wardrop however, it was a decision that she will eventually come to regret, because after 24 hours, her son Logan started having severe diarrhea, vomiting, as well as a fever.
She even adds that at one point, the diarrhea was so bad that her son started passing blood.
Ms. Wardrop then took her baby to a doctor who reassured that that it was just because of a virus. However, Logan’s condition had deteriorated so much that she immediately took him to Gold Coast University Hospital.
“We were scared we were going to lose”
Doctors in the hospital diagnosed Logan with adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella and meningitis. Ms. Wardrop shares with Daily Mail Australia, “We were scared we were going to lose. It didn’t seem like [the doctors] were able to get him under control because they didn’t know what was wrong with him.”
She adds, “He was quite lethargic and his eyes were rolling in the back of his head and he was moaning.”
Currently, Logan is now back from the hospital, but it will still take him a while to recover completely from the ordeal.
“I never thought something like this could happen”
Ms. Wardrop spoke to the doctors and wondered what could have caused her son’s multiple infections. Eventually, she narrowed down the reason to the shopping cart that she used when she took her son shopping.
She makes it clear that she isn’t blaming the supermarket about what happened to her son. She added that “Us as parents need to think about it a lot more,” referring to making sure shopping carts are clean.
She shared her story on Facebook in an effort to raise awareness about what happened to her child. She said that she wants to warn parents to make sure to wipe down the shopping cart, or to use a blanket before putting their baby in the cart.
She adds, “So please be careful I never thought something like this could happen.”
Go to the next page to learn more about keeping your child safe!
How can you keep your child safe?
While it’s true that being exposed to germs can strengthen your child’s immune system, deliberately exposing them to germs isn’t a good idea. Here are some steps that you can take to make sure that your child is well protected against germs and viruses:
- Make hand washing a habit around the house – This one should already be a habit for everyone in your house. Frequent hand washing keeps germs away and is the easiest way for you to prevent you and your family from getting sick.
- Avoid crowded places – This is very important, especially for younger babies. Large groups of people are a breeding ground for all sorts of viruses and germs that your baby might not be able to handle. So try to avoid going to the mall or bringing your baby to the supermarket if they’re still small.
- Pick the people who visit – People love seeing newborn babies. However, newborn babies and different types of people don’t really mix well when it comes to keeping germs away. Make sure that the people who visit know to keep their distance, and if they’re sick or have just recovered from sickness, it’s best for them not to be in contact with your child.
- Vaccinate your child – Vaccinations are very important in making sure your child is safe from germs and easily preventable diseases. Make sure to follow your doctor’s recommended vaccination schedule so that your child will have a strong immune system against germs and viruses.