This orange chiffon cake recipe is all you need to sweeten up your day!
7 egg yolks
60ml freshly squeezed orange juice
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
60ml cooking oil – I used canola oil
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
110g cake flour
7 egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar.
2. Add the oil and continue to beat.
3. Once the oil has been incorporated, add the orange juice and orange extract.
4. Add the orange zest, and once mixed, add the flour mixture.
5. Mix until just combined. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl, give it a final mix and set this aside.
6. In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar.
7. When the mixture turns foamy, add the sugar gradually. Continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
8. Transfer 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the orange mixture. Mix it in – there is no need to be gentle.
9. Transfer the remaining egg white mixture (in two parts) into the orange mixture. Fold gently to combine.
10. Pour the batter into an UNGREASED 20-22cm chiffon pan.
11. Bake at 180°C for 70 minutes. If the cake gets too brown, place a piece of aluminium foil over it and continue baking. (You may need to adjust the cooking time for the cake to achieve the best results).
12. Cool the cake upside down until it is completely cool before unmolding.
I baked this cake in a 22cm pan.
Republished with permission from thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com