Being kissed can be one of the best feelings in the world, especially if its shared with someone special in your life.
However, in Mexico, a kiss turned out to be deadly for one teenage boy after reportedly suffered from a stroke and died hours after his girlfriend gave him a hickey.
According to an Independent report, 17-year-old Julio Macias Gonzalez, suffered convulsions while eating dinner with his family, hours after spending the evening with his 24-year-old girlfriend.
His family called emergency services, but the boy died on the scene.
Several Mexican media outlets reported that the suction from the love bite caused a major blood clot that had travelled to the teen’s brain and caused the stroke.
Now the teen’s family is blaming the girlfriend for his death; they even went to say that she is now hiding from the authorities.
“The family, from the Iztapalapa borough, told local media they had disapproved of the seven year age difference between their son and his girlfriend, but he had refused to break up with her,” the Independent said.
Curiously enough, this incident isn’t the first hickey-related casualty ever reported.
In 2011, a 44-year-old woman in New Zealand experienced loss of movement in her left arm and was taken to hospital.
At first the doctors suspected that she had suffered a stroke, but couldn’t figure out how.
Then they saw the bruise on the woman’s neck from a hickey.
Doctors eventually concluded that the suction from the hickey had damaged a major artery. It formed a blood clot that travelled to her heart and caused a minor stroke.
The woman only noticed her symptoms hours after the kiss while she was watching the television.
“To my knowledge, it’s the first time someone has been hospitalised by a hickey,” said Dr Teddy Wu, who treated the woman at Auckland’s Middlemore Hospital.