Baby, stop crying please...
Stop crying! Please stop crying...Unfortunately your baby cannot understand you. To fix this situation-- you will have to understand your baby's cries. Read up on 12 tried-n-true methods.
Babies cry. That’s a fact. Mums often feel helpless when it comes to settling baby’s cries. That’s also a fact. Never fear, however, because the following are all tried-n-true methods that have been used by actual mothers on actual babies. Here’s hoping at least one of them works for you!
Make your baby stop crying…
- Make sure their crying isn’t the result of pain or discomfort that needs immediate attention, i.e., messy diapers, hunger, fever or injury.
- Take deep, slow breaths while holding your baby close to you (ear plugs are optional). The feeling of security is often all it takes to stop the cries of a fussy baby.
- Make eye contact with your baby and don’t look away. Make sure you’re smiling, though, so you don’t completely creep them out.
- Put on some happy, quick-paced music. Children’s tunes or some good ole’ rock-n-roll usually does the trick when it comes to turning a crying baby into a cooing happy baby.
- Sing to your baby. Soft, soothing songs generally work best for newborns to 3 or 4 month olds, while happier tunes tend to capture the attention of older infants.
- Snuggle your baby. Their cries are a sign of distress-– that they are in need of comfort.
- Dance with your baby. The rhythmic motion is soothing and relaxing.
- Distract your baby by making animal sounds. Even if they are not yet old enough to imitate the sounds you make, a baby’s fascination with sounds is enough to silence the crying.
- Distract your older infant by asking them where their eyes, nose, mouth, etc. are located.
- Rock your baby and hold them close.
- Put your baby in a warm, soapy bath and let them splash around for a few minutes. Who can resist a warm bubble bath?
- Plunk your baby in the stroller or car seat and go! The sights, sounds and motion will make crying a thing of the past.
NOTE: None of the above includes ‘mum tears’. That’s right, mum. Your baby is gonna take their cue from you.
With these tips we hope your baby will stop crying…
Related: Understanding common baby ailments