Singapore Christmas feast: Try this feast with a Singaporean twist!
How about a very Singapore Christmas feast this year? Try this special feast prepared for us by Chef Petrina Loh of Morsels...
This Christmas, how about giving your feast a Singaporean twist? :)
Chef-Owner Petrina Loh of Morsels, a restaurant serving produce-driven and wildly creative fusion dishes, presents to theAsianparent her very Singaporean Christmas Feast!
ROASTED ST LOUIS PORK RIBS with Turmeric Ginger Pineapple Glaze
YIELD: 4-6 PERSONS
1 Rack st louis pork ribs
1 L Pork stock or chicken stock
500ml Pineapple juice
80g Old ginger unpeeled washed cut rounds smashed
30g Turmeric unpeeled washed cut rounds smashed
1 no. Brown onion 2 stalks lemongrass cut into finger length smashed
1 Head garlic
1 tsp Black pepper corn whole
2 tsp Juniper berries
4 no. Dried bay leaf or 8 of fresh bay leaf
2 tsp Coriander seed
2 tsp Szechuan peppercorn
2 tsp Fennel seed
1 tbsp Kosher salt (please note we use diamond kosher salt with 12% sodium, adjust accordingly)
4 tbsp Cornstarch + 4 tbsp water to make slurry
- Get a pot of water boiling, blanch pork ribs to get rid of scum
- Toast spices
- Get stock hot in pressure cooker, place all ingredients in pot and cook for 20min, just before fork tender. If no pressure cooker, cook in a pot for about 1hour on medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (please note we use a convection oven, add about 20°C if using convention oven)
- Remove ribs onto tray, save ¼ cup of braising liquid for the finishing glaze.
- Reduce the rest of braising liquid on high boil by about 1/4 and make a slurry with cornstarch to thicken
- Brush glaze on and bake in oven at 200 degrees celcius for 10min
- Serve with thickened braising liquid on the side
SPICED BASMATIC RICE YIELD: 4 CUPS COOKED
250g Basmati rice
1 no. Bay leaf
4 no. Cardamom
1 no. Cinnamon stick
1 no. Star anise
1 no. Clove
1 no. Kaffir lime leaf
- Toast all spices
- Wash rice
- Put spices into a teabag or sachet
- Add rice, water and spices into a pot, bring to boil, lower to medium and cover.
- Cook for 20min and fluff (mix)
POTATO SALAD with bacon, sour cream & fried curry leaves YIELD: 4 PERSONS
500g Baby potatoes
1 Dollop sour cream
10g Curry leaves
2 Tsp Salt
- Cut bacon into lardons
- Wash potatos
- Boil water, when its boiling add salt
- Add potatoes, cook for 10min, after that put onto tray tossed with bacon, curry leaves
- Preheat oven 200 degrees celcius, bake for 8 min. Serve.
Roasted Zucchini Salad With Black Sesame Dressing And Baby Bok Choy Yield: 4-6 Persons
2 no. Green or yellow zucchini
1/3 cup Black sesame dressing (goma dressing)
100g Baby shanghai greens (baby bok choy)
6 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 Punnet alfalfa sprouts (for garnish)
3 no. Baby radish (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Cut zucchini into finger length batons, seeds removed
- Marinate with 3 tbsp olive oil and salt, transfer to baking tray
- Bake for 10min
- Shave baby radish with mandolin thinly and shock in ice water, remove and pat dry
- Mix 3 tbsp evoo with goma dressing
- Toss bok choy and roasted zucchini
- Garnish with shaved baby radish and alfalfa sprouts
MUICHOY MINESTRONE SOUP:
500g Canned tomatoes
500g Roma tomatoes (ripe)
1 no. Onion
50g Muichoy (sweet) - chop up & rinse
2 tbsp Cooking olive oil
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil - to finish
- Cut onion & roma tomato into medium dice
- Peel and smash garlic, chop muichoy
- Sweat onions and garlic with olive oil
- Combine canned tomatoes, roma, water and start to cook on medium heat
- After 15min, add muichoy in
- In another pot boil barley and water on high heat till al dente
- Add barley plus liquid in and cook for another 30min
- If it is too thick, add water to adjust consistency
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil to finish, and black pepper to taste
MILO TIRAMISU FOR KIDS YIELD: 4-6 PEOPLE
3 no. Eggs (65g)
1/3 cup White castor sugar
375g Mascarpone cheese
225g Whipping cream (at least 35%)
280g Milo (mix 6 tbsp of milo powder with 280g hot water)
20 no. Ladyfinger biscuit
3 tbsp Milo powder (to dust)
- Make Milo drink, and let cool.
- Separate egg yolk and whites.
- Combine egg yolks with 80g of cream, heat on low heat for 10min at 71 °C to pasteurise egg yolks, be careful not to scramble the yolks. Ice down immediately.
- In a kitchen mixer, whisk pasteurised egg yolk and 1/2 the sugar till lemon yellow on medium to high, lower speed to low add mascarpone and whisk. Add the rest of the cream slowly, till a light fluffy mixture is obtained.
- Scoop it out, make sure you wash the mixing bowl properly.
- Set up a bain marie, add egg whites and sugar, whisk, heat till 71 degrees celcius, transfer to kitchen mixer whisk on high till soft peaks.
- Fold into the marscapone mix.
- Assemble, spray tray with nonstick spray
- Dip ladyfingers in milo and lay on tray, spread one layer of marscapone mix, and continue the process again.
- Put in freezer for at least 6 hours to set. Carefully cut it out and dust with milo powder to finish
(Note: If pasteurising of eggs is not a concern then just proceed without pasteurising.)