Should I Wax My Pubic Hair? Here's What You Need To Know
Should you lose the bush?
Many of my mum-friends completely remove their pubic hair. They share how easy their life has become since the time they have started going bare down there. I must confess that many times I’ve wondered — should I wax my pubic hair or not?
Maintaining vaginal hygiene is crucial for overall health. And most women think that shaving or waxing off their pubic hair makes it easy to keep their genitals clean and infection-free.
But here are a few important things that you need to know if you find yourself constantly wondering, should I wax my pubic hair off?
Should I wax my pubic hair: Here’s why it may not be a good idea to do so
Experts suggest that getting rid of your pubic hair may have some risks. It might even deprive you of a few unexpected benefits. Here are some of the benefits of keeping your pubic hair that may answer your question of “should I wax my pubic hair?” once and for all.
Your pubic hair is actually a natural barrier. It keeps your genitals clean, reduces contact with viruses and bacteria and protects your tender genital skin from irritation.
Experts have now found out that freshly waxed pubic areas are exposed to herpes infections. This may be happening as the microscopic wounds caused by waxing or shaving are exposed to viruses that can spread through mouth or genitals.
The pubic hair also keeps a check on the moisture in your genital areas. The presence of the hair helps in absorbing the moisture, keeping it away from the skin.
But in the absence of pubic hair, the sweat is absorbed by clothes. In turn, the rubbing of such wet or sweaty clothes can lead to irritation or redness. The presence of pubic hair prevents these situations. It greatly reduces the occurrence of yeast infections and skin breakdown. It also protects you from irritation during intercourse.
3. Maintaining body temperature
Your pubic hair is also useful when it comes to regulating the temperature of your genitals. Hair follicles have a sebaceous gland. This gland releases oils on the hair and these oils go up to the skin’s surface. When the oil evaporates it naturally cools your skin that has a lot of inherent heat.
4. Heightens sensation
Hair follicles have nerve endings at the bottom. Brushing the hair causes little sensations to move down to these nerve endings. The feeling is similar to that of a light touch. The skin below the hair is stimulated by a more firm touch. So, with your pubic hair, you may be able to experience a wider range of sensations. That can make your love-making really interesting.
5. Protection against genital warts
Pubic hair on your genitals can offer better protection in case of warts in these areas. It cannot totally prevent them, but helps avoid direct skin contact. Warts are bumps or growths that can be flat, raised, single, many, small or large. In a female they can be found in the areas like the vulva, vagina, cervix or anus.
Should I wax my pubic hair: maintaining your genital area hygiene
Here are a few things crucial to good genital hygiene.
- You should avoid irritants in your daily life. A simple rule you can keep in mind: Anything that lathers has the capacity to remove healthy oil from your skin. And that can lead to irritation. Some potential irritants are soaps, shower gels, bubble baths, cleansing wipes, panty liners, perfumed products, disinfectants and fabric softeners. To avoid damage, you can limit the use of these or totally avoid the ones that you can. You can also wash your genitals with such products once a day.
- Keeping your skin dry is another crucial thing you should follow. Just as too much wetness can cause irritation, even if the skin becomes too dry it can lead to rashes and redness. So, maintain a healthy balance. Moisturise your skin if you find it extremely dry. Keep changing your undergarments and sanitary pads/tampons when on your period.
- Avoid rubbing or friction. After baths, ensure that you pat dry the skin. Never rub it with towel. Don’t scratch using your nails. Be gentle with your genital skin. Wear loose clothes, especially at night time.
By following these simple tips, you can maintain the hygiene of your genital area and avoid infections or irritations.
ALSO READ: Caring for your baby girl’s genitals