Samsung washing machine up in flames, Singapore family has narrow escape !

Samsung washing machine up in flames, Singapore family has narrow escape !

A family in Singapore got the shock of their lives when their washing machine caught fire during use.

A regular day of laundry turned horrifying for a Singaporean family, when their Samsung washing machine caught fire while it was still in use.

It was Nov 9, and close to noon time at the HDB  flat in Block 469, Bukit Panjang. According to the Straits Times, the lady of the house had left her Samsung washing machine on in the kitchen toilet, for no more than 10 minutes, when she smelt something strange, only to find the machine up in flames and thick smoke!

She was quick to grab her 16-year-old daughter and flee from the scene. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted to the incident at around 11: 50 am. Thankfully, the family was left uninjured, and the blaze extinguished.

Toilet badly damaged

The fire has caused extensive damage to the toilet, with the walls, ceiling and even the air-conditioning pipes getting burnt. Also, almost all of the washing machine is lost, with only some charred metal left.


The 51-year-old owner of the house, a technician, revealed that the washing machine was purchased four years back for around $400. He is unaware of the exact model of the machine.

Samsung's statement on washing machine catching fire in Singapore

As per The Straits Times, Samsung Electronics Singapore has responded to the incident and are trying to reach out to the affected user.

The firm said, "We are unable to comment on this specific incident until we obtain and thoroughly examine the product," the firm said. Customer safety remains our highest priority and we want to work with any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product in order to investigate the matter and support them."

No respite for Samsung

Wednesday's blaze has just added to the long list of woes for Samsung. Just last week, users in the United States had complained that top loading Samsung washing machines were exploding and the top of the machine detaching, during use.

Also READ: Samsung washing machines in the US recalled!

Many people were reported injured by this unexpected behaviour of the machines. Subsequently, around 2.8 million top-load Samsung washing machines in the US were recalled.

But Samsung Electronics Singapore clarifies, "We can confirm that this does not impact top-load washer models sold outside of North America."

What precautions can we take when handling electrical appliances at home? Go to the next page to find out!

These days, we have so many electrical appliances at home that it is easy to get complacent about safety and other hazards associated with them. But the recent washing machine catching fire in Singapore incident has been a wake-up call and a reminder to take our precautions more seriously. Here are some basic pointers that everyone in the family, especially children need to be aware of:

  • Avoid waterNever touch electrical appliances when hands are wet and feet are bare. Also keep cords away from near baths or sinks. Be extra careful when using electrical appliances attached to power outlets near kitchen or bathroom sinks, tubs, swimming pools, and other wet areas. It is also safer to discard appliances that have been immersed in water.
  • Wear rubber or plastic soled shoes when using electrical appliances. Follow appliance instructions carefully.
  • Keep cords away from the edge of counters as these can easily be reached by little kids or pets.


  • Always switch off power points before unplugging appliances. Also, switch off and unplug the toaster before taking anything out. You might also want to unplug unused appliances and keep cords safely out of reach of young children or even pets.
  • Never put metal plates or aluminium foil inside your microwave.
  • Make sure electrical appliances are not stored in cramped areas and have enough breathing space.
  • Don’t place appliances near combustible materials or near a stove.
  • Never attempt to fix appliances by yourself. Contact a trusted electrician.
  • Do not drape clothes, toys or other items over warm appliances like clocks, television or computer monitors as they generate heat.

Also READ: Household appliances that can kill!

(Source: The Straits Times)

Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by


app info
get app banner