As new parents, you're probably bursting with questions about how to care for your newborn. Dr Chan recommends that you ask your child's paediatrician any questions you might have about looking after your new baby.
Here are some questions you could ask:
1. What is my baby’s weight, height and head circumference percentile on the growth curve for these measurements, and how does it compare to her birth measurements?
2. Are my baby’s heart rate, breathing and temperature normal for a newborn?
3. How many hours should my baby be sleeping?
4. How many naps does my baby need to have?
5. Should I wake my baby to feed?
6. How can I prevent SIDS while my baby sleeps?
7. What should be in my baby’s cot or bassinet?
8. Should I have a bedtime routine and what should it be?
9. What should I do if my baby will not sleep?
10. How many wet diapers should my baby have a day?
11. What color should my baby’s stools be?
12. How often and how should I bathe my baby?
13. What baby wash or soap should I use?
14. What kinds of things can my baby do as a newborn?
15. When do I start tummy time?
16. How should I care for the umbilical cord?