Parents accidentally fed daughter formula with vodka

Parents accidentally fed daughter formula with vodka

Alcohol depresses the central nervous system and causes low blood glucose (sugar). Children who drink alcohol can have seizures and coma; they could even die

In Wisconsin, a father had accidentally given his six-week-old daughter a formula mixed with two shots of vodka.

“The baby had a blood alcohol level of 0.294, more than three times the legal limit for an adult driver, after receiving the vodka-tainted formula on Monday night,” said a New York Post report.

Fed Formula Mixed with Vodka

According to Kenosha police spokesman Bradley Hetlet, the girl’s mother Natalee Kahl had filled a container with water to be used for the baby’s bottle and set it on the counter before leaving the room.

The father, Brian Smith entered the room then, dumped the contents of the bottle, and refilled it with vodka to take to a friend’s house.

Upon her return to the kitchen, Natalee mistook the vodka for water, mixed it with formula, and fed it to the baby.

It wasn’t long when they realised their mistake: their daughter began acting strangely.

According to Natalee, she noticed that her daughter’s eyelids were squinted, her eyes and toes were red, and that she kept shaking one leg.

That served as the prelude to the argument between the two, with one person blaming the other, then it escalated into an altercation in the back parking lot.

READ: Accidental overdose sends 160 kids to the ER everyday

The police said that Brian grabbed his girlfriend by the throat so hard she couldn’t breathe or speak.

Bradley Hetlet said that investigators believe the alcohol incident was a genuine mistake, and neither of the parents will be charged for it. The father, however, faces charges for the altercations which occurred when his daughter began to suffer from the alcohol.

The six-week-old daughter was said to have been doing well after the incident, and is expected to return home in a few weeks.

What to do when your children accidentally ingest alcohol

“Alcohol can be a dangerous poison for children,” according to National Capital Poison Center. “Alcohol depresses the central nervous system and causes low blood glucose (sugar).

“Children who drink alcohol can have seizures and coma; they could even die. This is true of beverage alcohol (beer, wine, liquor) and alcohol found in mouthwash and other personal care products.”

If you suspect that you child has accidentally ingested alcohol, the best option is to immediately contact your health provider because they’re the best people to know how to proceed.

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. 

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Written by

James Martinez

app info
get app banner