Needles found in cotton wool hurt Singapore baby

Needles found in cotton wool hurt Singapore baby

A 5-month-old in Singapore was recently hurt when his mother wiped his body with cotton wool and to her horror found dangerous objects in them. Read more about this shocking local case.

Needle-like metal object in cotton wool hurts baby Needle-like metal objects were found in cotton wool rolls here in Singapore

Unexpected accident

It was a normal Wednesday just last week when a Singapore mum, Ms Isabel Fernandez, was wiping her baby son’s body with a swab of cotton wool. The five-month-old boy, however, shrieked in pain at her first stroke and upon closer inspection, Ms Fernandez found several 2cm long metal objects in the cotton wool.

Shocked, she continued checking the rest of the package, which she had purchased from Kiddy Palace at Parkway Parade, and was horrified to find more needle-like objects inside the 300g roll of cotton wool. She immediately contacted Kiddy Palace and Tollyjoy, the Singaporean manufacturer of the product.

RELATED: Hidden dangers in your baby’s nursery

Unacceptable breach of safety

Ms Fernandez, a first time mum from Spain living in Singapore, was upset as the damage could have been much worse if she had used to cotton wool on her son’s face or eyes instead. She applied alcohol to the scratches on her baby’s tummy but did not bring him to the doctor’s as thankfully, the cuts were not deep.

Tollyjoy has apologised to Ms Fernandez and recalled all its cotton wool products since last week. The cotton wool rolls have been sent for tests and the Singapore baby products company promised to look into the matter immediately to ensure better quality inspections.

Needle-like metal objects in cotton wool hurt Singapore baby Protect your baby from accidents like this

Shocking local case

In Singapore, where manufacturers are reputed for the locally high standards of quality and safety in production, it is unforeseen that such an accident could happen here. While Tollyjoy offered to compensate Ms Fernandez with other products of a similar S$3 value, the disillusioned mum was not amused.

Finding the breach of safety unacceptable, Ms Fernandez stressed that the accident showed how strict controls and regulation for products were not supported in her case. In response, Singapore’s Health Sciences Authority has assured that it is investigating the case and will work with companies to ensure public health and safety.

RELATED: Baby proofing your home

Protecting your child

The unexpectedness of home accidents caused by seemingly harmless everyday objects shows how important it is for parents to always be alert when protecting their children. To prevent accidents like this, it would be useful to constantly check and ensure that the products you use are safe and child-friendly.

While the authorities have a responsibility to ensure the safety and reliability of a product, parents can also take active steps in furthering such measures. It takes a minute to have an extra look into the new product or feel if its texture is normal, but precautions such as this can prevent potential accidents from befalling your little ones.

RELATED: Is your home baby-proof enough?

For more tips on protecting your baby at home, watch this video:

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

Any views or opinions expressed in this article are personal and belong solely to the author; and do not represent those of theAsianparent or its clients.

Written by

Miss Vanda

app info
get app banner