Constipation is a common digestive health issue that plagues both adults and children.
However, constipation in children can not only affect their health but may also have an indirect effect on their grades at school. Irregular bowel movements can lead to a lack of concentration, resulting in your child’s weak academic performance.
When it comes to kids, constipation is a very common problem.
According to The Oman Medical Journal, faecal incontinence is a common problem among children and its significance is often underestimated by medical practitioners. “Chronic constipation with faecal incontinence is reported to account for 3% of referrals to pediatric clinics in teaching hospitals,” the Journal reports.
“In reality, constipation and faecal incontinence in a child are major problems for parents. Faecal incontinence results in a marked loss of self-esteem in children. Parents who assume that faecal incontinence is an intentional behaviour may become angry and aggressive, often resulting in disruption of the relationship between parents, as well as between parents and their children. These children often become very frightened as they are punished for something which the majority of them have no control over.”1
Another study concluded that “chronic constipation may retard growth status in children, and a long-term medication for constipation in children appears beneficial to their growth status.”2
Parents, therefore, must inform themselves with knowledge about constipation in kids. This will help them deal with its negative effects on their children, such as lack of focus in school and falling sick often as the body is not purged of toxins regularly.
Why is my kid constipated?
A child is considered constipated when he has fewer than three bowel movements in a week or has trouble completing a bowel movement. He can also be considered constipated when the stool is hard, dry, and unusually large.
Generally speaking, constipation is not an alarming condition to have. It can be easily managed with proper diet and exercise habits.
Common causes of constipation in children
1. A bad diet
Kids who are regularly constipated usually have a diet that doesn’t include enough water and fibre (these enable normal bowel movement).
In our fast-moving lifestyle, our children’s diet often contains lots of processed foods, cheeses, white bread and meats. Such kinds of food may also lead to constipation in kids fairly often.
2. Ignoring the urge to poop
Constipation in kids may also be a result of the habit of ignoring the urge to go to the toilet. There might be many reasons for this. For example, not wanting to use a toilet if away from home, to stop playing, or to ask an adult to be excused to go to the bathroom. This kind of behaviour (ignoring the urge to go) makes it harder to pass normal stools later.
This may sound strange but stress can also lead to constipation in kids. Going to a new school or worrying about problems at home can trigger stress in kids.
4. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Some kids get constipated because of IBS. This condition can happen when they’re anxious, or when they eat certain trigger foods, which often are fatty or spicy.
What should I do as a parent to help prevent constipation in my child?
Good gut health combined with some healthy habits can ensure that your child is free of constipation.
There are three essentials that promote good gut health:
- Probiotics (Bacillus coagulans and Lactobacillus acidophilus), which are otherwise known as good bacteria, multiply and deprive bad bacteria of space to grow in the gut.
- Prebiotics (Xylo-oligosaccharides), which act as fertilisers or food for good bacteria that are already there. They regulate the firmness of human stools.
- Fibre that provides roughage to the gut’s environment. Fibre refers to plant-based carbohydrates that, unlike other carbohydrates (such as sugars and starch), are not digested in the small intestine. It helps to bulk up stools, makes stools softer and easier to pass and makes waste move through the digestive tract more quickly.
To prevent and treat constipation in kids, the following steps should be taken:
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids: Drinking enough water and other liquids (like fresh juice) helps stools move more easily through the intestines, and out of the body.
- Serve more fibre: High-fibre foods (such as fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain bread) can help prevent constipation. Include them in your children’s diet. For children of 1-3 years and 4-8 years, the recommendation is 19 grams of fibre per day and 25 grams of fibre per day respectively.
- Promote physical activity. Regular physical activity helps stimulate normal bowel function. It can be as simple as playing catch, riding bikes, or shooting a few hoops.
- Develop a regular meal schedule: Regular meals may help kids develop routine bowel habits.
- Teach your kids to heed nature’s call: Teach them not to ignore the urge to poop just because they are engrossed in play!
- Create a toilet routine: Set aside a regular time for your child to use the toilet.
- Give your child BRAND’S® InnerShine® Pre+Probiotics, which is a product well-suited to help your kids avoid constipation. Not only does it taste good, but it also comes in a convenient powder format which allows parents to easily mix the supplement in their children’s daily diet.
*THIS PROMOTION HAS ENDED*
As compared to other gut supplements in the market, BRAND’S® InnerShine® Pre+Probiotics stands out from the pack because it contains not just Probiotics but also Prebiotics and Fibre – both of which are needed to detoxify your body and ensure healthy micro-fauna in your gut. The combination of all these is what makes this product so good for gut health.
Mums, we are sure that these small lifestyle changes will help your kids feel better while avoiding poop problems! You are sure to see a difference in your child’s overall health and even their performance at school and beyond.
BRAND’S® InnerShine® Pre+Probiotics is exclusively available at BRAND’S® Home Delivery online store. You can also order through BRAND’S hotline 1800 732 22 22. Exclusive promotions are available only to new members both through the hotline and the online store. Apply Coupon KID15 to enjoy $15 off BRAND’S Pre+probiotics (Usual Price $49.90) with free delivery when you order online. This product is suitable for adults and children three years and above.
You can also request for a sample to be mailed out to you by signing up and completing this form. Hurry! There are only limited samples are available!