Michelle Wong is quite active on Instagram and often posts her baking adventures, much to the delight of her followers. By her own admission, the Singapore actress feels that the USP of her desserts is that “they are easy, tasty and cute.” Staying true to this notion is one of her latest healthy rice cooker recipes – Hanjuku.
It is a Japanese cheesecake, for which she uses just four ingredients and a rice cooker.
Healthy Rice Cooker Recipes By Michelle Wong: Cheesecake Craving
Compared to the American-style cheesecake, which is dense and firm, the Hanjuku cheesecake is light and delicate. It has a soufflé-like texture.
Michelle’s idea to prepare a rice cooker Hanjuku cheesecake came about by accident.
She shared that she had received requests for no-bake recipes during the circuit breaker last year. So this time around, when she had a strong craving for cheesecake, she decided to make one in a rice cooker.
Healthy Rice Cooker Recipes: Here’s How You Can Make Michelle Wong’s Hanjuku
Image courtesy: Michelle Wong Instagram
If you’re also keen to give this rather delicious recipe a shot, here’s how you can do it too. All you need are the following ingredients and follow the given steps to a tee.
- White chocolate. You can either chop it from a bar or get it in a chopped form: 100gm
- Cream cheese (Room temperature): 120gm
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites need to be separated
- All-purpose flour (1 tbsp spoon)
- Prepare two pieces of baking paper to double-line the base of your rice cooker pot. See to it that the paper goes up the sides of the pot for easy removal after your cake is done.
- Now fill a saucepan with water till midpoint and place it over medium heat. Place the white chocolate in a bowl and then place it on top of the saucepan. See to it that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t come into contact with the water. Keep string the chocolate occasionally, until it melts completely. Now, remove it from the heat and stir the mixture until it is smooth.
- Then take a large bowl and whisk the cream cheese until it is soft and smooth. Add an egg yolk to make it softer.
- Now add the melted chocolate to it and whisk it properly.
- Get a separate bowl and whip the egg whites until the meringue does not fall off the bowl when it is inverted.
- Now, use a rubber spatula to gently fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture in three batches. There can be some lumpy textures, but it’s okay. Now add one tbsp of all all-purpose flour and fold till it just disappears.
- On the base of the rice cooker pot smear a bit of batter. Double line the rice cooker with the prepared baking paper and then pour the batter. Remove the trapped air bubble by banging the pot against the counter.
- You need to now cook the cake until the timer goes off (around 5 mins). Leave the cake in the rice cooker on ‘Warm’ mode for around 45 mins to an hour. The heat will gently bake the batter. Your cake is done when you insert a wooden skewer into the centre and it comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the rice cooker for one to two hours with the lid on, before you refrigerate it for at least 3 hours or more to make it firm.
- When it is completely chilled, remove the cake from the pot by taking the side of the baking paper. After you invert the cake onto the plate, then remove the baking paper
- It is totally up to you how you want to garnish the cake before serving. You can keep the leftover in the fridge for the next two to three days.
Your delicious 7-inch-wide cake is ready!
This recipe is fuss-free and delicious, plus, it is easy to bake because it doesn’t require an oven and you can make in just a rice cooker.
View this post on Instagram
In case you are looking for more sweet recipes that can be prepared in a rice cooker, here are three options you can try.
Healthy Rice Cooker Recipes: 3 Sweet Dishes You Can Try At Home
Image courtesy: iStock
A couple of years back, rice cooker pancakes were introduced in Japan and it instantly became a massive Internet sensation. Here’s how you can make one:
- All-purpose flour (2 cups)
- Baking powder (2 1/2 tsp)
- Granulated white sugar (2 tbsp)
- Large eggs (2)
- Low-fat milk: 1 1/2 cups
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Then add the remaining ingredients and whisk until only small lumps remain.
Grease the interior of the rice cooker pot so that the mixture doesn’t stick along. Pour the batter, but make sure it doesn’t reach past the halfway point as the pancake will rise when you are cooking. Now, close your rice cooker.
- Set to cook for 45 minutes. The cooking time can vary slightly depending on your rice cooker (size, power, etc). It is important to check in on it frequently so that it doesn’t get burnt or remain half-cooked.
- After the cake is done, you will find that surface of the cake may look slightly wet, but it is due to condensation. The cake should feel firm and bounce back. Insert a toothpick at the centre of your cake to see if it comes out clean, if so, it indicates that the pancake is ready.
Image courtesy: iStock
- Skimmed milk (5 ½ cups)
- Short-grain white rice (2 cups)
- White sugar (1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional skimmed milk (2 ½ cups )
- Place 5 1/2 cups skimmed milk, rice, sugar, and cinnamon in a rice cooker and stir it to mix properly.
- Cover and cook for one cycle in a rice cooker until the rice is tender and creamy for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cup milk.
- Allow it to cool before serving.
Image courtesy: iStock
- Bananas (300 g)
- Butter (150 g)
- Sugar (150 g)
- Eggs (4)
- Vanilla bean-1
- Flour-210 g
- Baking powder-3 g
- Baking soda-3 g
- Take a large bowl and mash bananas by hand or use a fork until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Take another large bowl, and mix together sugar, eggs, vanilla bean seeds, and melted butter.
- On the side, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Now get a large bowl and, mix together banana mixture, egg mixture, and flour mixture. Pour everything into a rice cooker and cook on high flame for around 10-12 minutes. The next step is to cook it on low heat for 60 – 90 min. until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- After the cake cools, transfer it onto a plate and garnish it with banana slices.
Liked the recipes? Save it and prepare it next time when you want to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Rice Cooker Meal Recipes To Dish Out During This #StayHome Period
How To Make Cloud Bread Loaf: 5 Easy And Tasty Recipes You Must Try