Spelt and spinach pancakes with lime cheese
Makes some delicious and healthy pancakes that little kids will like... because pancakes!
Serve up a healthy breakfast in a form that children love... pancakes! Follow this simple, healthy, and yummy pancakes recipe for spelt and spinach pancakes with lime cheese. This is good for a family of three or four.
For the Lime Cheese:
- 100g cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
For the Pancakes:
- 1 cup spelt flour or plain flour
- (or a mixture of both flours)
- 250g spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ cup yoghurt mixed with
- ½ cup water
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- Olive oil for frying
1. To make the Lime Cheese, mix all the listed ingredients. Tip onto a sheet of cling wrap and roll into a sausage shape, twisting ends to seal. Chill until firm.
2. To make the Pancakes, place flour, baking powder, melted butter, salt, cumin powder, and yoghurt mixture in a mixing bowl. Add spring onions, chilies and spinach and mix well.
3. Pour olive oil into a non-stick pan and heat over a medium to high flame.
4. Ladle two tablespoons of batter into the pan and flatten slightly. Repeat until pan is filled, without overcrowding. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until you get a golden green colour.
5. Serve hot with Lime Cheese.
Recipe by Cold Storage and Sarab Kapoor